Starter problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_B

Reaction score
Just this weekend my van, '69, started to not start when the engine was very warm. When cold no problem at all.

I was advised to give the starter motor a tap with a hammer - which did work on most occasions apart from 1, when I had to wait about 30mins for it to seemingly cool down.

I was advised just to get a new starter, which I have - Vw/Audi Brazil one made by Bosch - is this the right thing to be doing?

try getting a genuine bosh not bra zil crap or just fit a new solenoid its this that normaly plays up and while the starters out fit a new starter bush in the back engine housing

alright mate,

before shelling out for a new starter motor do a search for hot start relay on hear and read up on them. it might just save you a bit of coin especially as it only happens when it's hot & it's fine after about 30 minutes when it's cooled down.

ronnie12342003 said:
try getting a genuine bosh not bra zil crap or just fit a new solenoid its this that normaly plays up and while the starters out fit a new starter bush in the back engine housing

Cheers bud, what's so wrong with the Bazilian Bosch ones?

all the cheap rubbish for all bays comes from brazil ie panels rubbish over priced new doors that don't fit everything we fit from brazil is a compromise try and get genuine german or good second hand

the hot start relay works but it does not cure the fault all it does is give you full battery voltage to the solenoid whether hot or cold its the starter drawing more power when hot so make sure all your wiring is in tip top condition and the starter is working ok you can get them reckoned

Latest posts