Starting/Ignition Trouble

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padwah

Reaction score
I'm having some intermittant starting issues with my 1971 bay and currently it won't start, when you turn the key to the start position the dash lights dim but the starter doesn't turn. Now this has happened a couple of times before but after leaving it for a few days the problem resolved itself so I didn't do anything about it but now it's happened again I thought it's about time to get it sorted.

I assume that the problem is with the starter as the dimming of the dash lights indicate that there's some power drain when the switch is turned. Is there anything else I can do to verify that it is the starter motor rather than the ignition switch itself that's causing my starting woes? And, if it is the starter motor, any tips on replacing it? I assume the units the same as on a beetle?

The only way to really check the starter motor is to remove it and wire it directly to a battery (the same way that people bench test engines) although if it corrects itself it could be something as simple as the starter motor locating bush has gone (although this does mean dropping the engine - so maybe not so simple :lol: ) or It could just be a poor connection at the solenoid on the back on the starter

Cheers Froggy, do I need to drop the engine to replace the starter motor as I've found one from my old bug?

You can do it with the engine in, little bit awkward to get at but not too bad. You'll need to remove the tubes from the heat exchanges and then reach up behind the wheels. Best to have it on axle stands so you can get right under. I did it with the wheel on (couldn't get it off at the time!) but you'd find it easier with it off.

Yer no need to drop the engine for the starter motor. Just get under the van and put yours hadn up. You will need to undo the bolt in the engine bay behind the fanshroud

Cheers for the tips guys, hopefully I'll get under the bus at the weekend.

Annoyingly it started first time this morning so no idea what's up, it's hard to fault find when everythings working! Decided to fit my new quiet pack exhaust instead!

Latest posts