Starting issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveGTU

Reaction score
When I first start up all is well, however if I travel for half hour or so and stop, it takes a few times to finally start?? Could this be a dodgy starter or is there any other checks I can do.

Is it turning over fine? Or the starter not engaging?
Could be fuel evaporation or the starter bush.
Single or twin carbs?
Any other info or a pic of your engine bay?

As Stu Says above ^^^ a bit more info would be good. If it's turning over well, I'd look at the extreme (read cheapo) basics. Check your points gap and maybe swap a condenser first. Just because it needs doing and it's free :shock: Next thing is your valve clearances, but you got to do them cold and you can't just look at this one and that one, you gotta do the whole rigamarole and to do it right. I'm thinking possibly valve clearances because it's good to start at cold where the valves are at the most loose, as they warm up the gap decreases and if they is a bit too snug then when they get hot, there will be no clearance at all and the valves will be held slightly open so you lose a fair bit of compression. When it's hot and a little reluctant to start, does it sound like it's spinning over very quickly, almost too quickly? That might indicate valve clearances because it can turn over quicker because the compression ain't so good when hot. If you get another condensor for a couple of quid and it stays the same, then keep it in your van in a little protective box so you always got a spare . Another possibility is a cracked head that opens up as it gets hotter, hopefully not in this case. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, lets hope it's a nice simple one ;)

Could be old wiring struggling to keep up. Do you have a hot start relay fitted

Thanks for your replies
Once started it runs fine ? Single carb, it's a recon engine fitted last year. New points and condenser fitted at that time.
Think I'll give the chap that fitted the engine a shout as it seems a bit more than I thought👍

Sounds like it might be due for a once over and a tune. Get them to sort that and it may just be due to have the valves done after its initial running n period. These old motors needed servicing much much more frequently than modern cars. When these were new, it was three to five thousand miles I think, depending on driving styles etc.

Ozziedog,,,,,, services for long life.

Latest posts