Starting Problem…. Won't turn over freely.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr1ncognit0

Reaction score
Morning All Early Bayers… Once Again… and not for the last time I suspect I seek knowledge I aspire to have!

I have recently rebuilt my Carburettor and fitted it this morning with an inline fuel pressure regulator to get the 3.5psi for my Weber…. hooked it all up and for the first time since ownership…. The Van started!!!!!!

Celebrations ensued… I let it tick over and warm up for a few minutes and then gave it a little bit of throttle, only a blip, not much at all.

It then began ticking over again and then…. there was a rattle, from what sounded like the front of the engine, as I was stood next to the drivers door. I turned it off and crawled round the engine and under it to see if there was any unusual oil leak, smell of fuel etc… nothing, no smoke, no smell of damage… etc.

I tried to start it again and it tried to turn over but sounded like it was pushing a lot of pressure and made a very slow Woooooop, woooooop noise…. No attempt to strike up.

Any thoughts or any additional info required?

Cheers

Stephen

I hate to say it but could it be that you have dropped something into the carb, or that a screw or similar has fallen out during the rebuild? The rattle sounds like it could be something in the combustion chamber and maybe the woooop sound you describe is something caught between the piston and barrel...

What carb setup do you have? What happens if you try to turn the engine by hand; is it consistently I stiff or do you get the compression/release phases you'd expect?

Hope it is something simple and straightforward mate.

trying turning the engine over by hand using a spanner on the bottom pulley, I always advise going clockwsie as you wont risk loosing the bottom pulley bolt that way. If it turns over freely by hand its a good sign. you shoudl feel compression though.

If this is ok it could be a low battery not giving a full 12V to the stater, give the battery a test.

If the battery is ok, ceck the starter is getting a full 12V, I had similar on my van, changed the battery and the starter motor to no avail, fitted a starting relay by the starter motor so the power was being drawn from the battery direct and the ignition switch was literally used to switch the realy not pass the 12V to the starter itself. This cured my issue.

It could be a mirad of things but start at the basics and work forward logically one thign at a time :mrgreen:

Good Luck :D

Thanks for the replies guys.... Taking the motor out this weekend, i don't want to risk anymore damage.... Will kick myself if I dropped something into the engine!

Fingers crossed!!

Steve

Latest posts