Steel bushings inside front beam what outside diameter?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yackaboo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am about to strip down my front beam and according to the Bentley manual the inner steel bushing that support the torsion arms can be pulled out using a slide hammer and toggle washer.

Can anybody tell me what the outside diameter of the steel bushing is, then I can knock up the toggle washer at work to do the job.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers

Mike

Do you mean the needle bearing?

If so, I carefully tapped mine out using one of the suspension leaves - may sound a bit crazy, but with one hand at one end of the beam I separated one of the leaves, and held it in place against the outer edge of the bearing. Then with the other hand, carefully tapped the opposite end and the bearing fairly easily slid out. It wasn't tight, so no damage caused.

To reinstall, I cut a groove out of the outer race, leaving the inner race intact. This allowed me to tap the new bearing home, and the cutout allowed it to be compressed just enough that it slid out by hand afterwards.

Hi Moseley,

No not the needle bearing, further down inside the tubes there is a steel sleeve that supports the far end of the arm, what you have going by the Bentley manual is , inside diameter of front beam, inside of that is a short length of plastic tube, inside the plastic tube is a steel liner that supports the torque arm and acts as a bearing. The manual says you can drift out the steel sleeve leaving the plastic liner in place.

Cheers

Mike

yackaboo said:
Hi Moseley,

No not the needle bearing, further down inside the tubes there is a steel sleeve that supports the far end of the arm, what you have going by the Bentley manual is , inside diameter of front beam, inside of that is a short length of plastic tube, inside the plastic tube is a steel liner that supports the torque arm and acts as a bearing. The manual says you can drift out the steel sleeve leaving the plastic liner in place.

Cheers

Mike

Balls, can't help then I'm afraid!

Thanks anyway bud, I've got a spare torque arm and I've measured that so I know what the inside dia of the bush is so I will take a flyer on the O.D of the bush, so long as I don't make it too big I should be able to get the sleeve out and leave the plastic sleeve in place.

Mike

Latest posts