Steering box peg

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gr00veg0d said:
Yes, and yes it make a BIG difference 8)

Might be more useful if I gave some details eh?

I used to have about 4" of play in the wheel, after replacing the peg this is down to about 1.5"

And where did you find such a hens tooth (peg)

http://www.veewee.co.uk/index.php/430vg0710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might be worth waiting until the gsf 35% off days or they offer 20% off on click and collect. Still not cheap though :)

This is what I like about the Vw scene, I left my project alone for the last couple of years and then some clever bugger comes up with these, quality,.

http://m.gsfcarparts.com/430vg0710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 35% off today with the code JUNE35 makes it a more affordable £62.40

Renewing the steering box peg will allow you to take all of the play out of the steering box- hooray!- IF the steering peg is the component that's damaged. It's not 100% sure that'll be the case, so I'd advise that you open the box up to have a look. As long as you don't tamper with the adjustment screw, go ahead and drain the oil and take the side cover off. Then you can pull up the output shaft and take a good look at the peg :) Mine was knackered bearing seats on the input shaft, all fixed now but goes to show it's not always the peg that's damaged :)

my steering wheel was about as accrate as the one in them little tykes red and yellow kids cars, I stripped th steering box, replaced the peg, and the bush in the coloumn and the bearing in the column and the rubber coupling to the steering box, fitted my new mcj boss and wheel.... hey presto i have van that points where i want it to when i want it to rather than when ever the road wants to move the wheels!

Mine was an accumulation of issues, the peg was nadgered, massive flat on it ( prob due to incorrrect adjustment at some point) the rubber coupling was cracked and degraded, lots fo flex and play the oil in the steering box wasnt the right stuff, the column parts I replaced as I had it all apart and thought what the hell I will just do it.

Latest posts