steering box removal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldskoolboy

Reaction score
Hi guys how do you remove drag arm from steering box? i cant find a splitter that will fit over steering box shaft? i have a spare box is it a question of resorting to my mate "mr hammer"

Don't use a hammer - you will trash the arm and/or the shaft. Don't use heat either because that will neatly trash your oil seal.

You need to beg borrow or steal a hydraulic puller with a suitable adaptor to fit behind the arm. In my experience (over 40 years) it's almost impossible to remove these without a good quality hydraulic puller. I use an old Sykes puller and an adaptor I made from 8mm hardened steel and before you ask I'm afraid I don't lend it out.

have used a 2 leged universal puller,you need to put a g cramp across the arms to stop them spreading cos the drop arm isant flat on the back,slight taper why???anyway do it as tight as pos and then if it hasnt fallen off(can happen!!!!)get a lump hammer and large drift and give it a cloat side ways to the taper .its worked every time for me so far :shock:

Here`s my puller,, I made it from the bottom 6" of an acrow prop (all I could find) works a treat, tighten up then give the arm a tap, tighten a little more and give the arm a tap, keep doing that and increase how hard you`re `tapping ' the arm.
041.jpg

045.jpg

044.jpg

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (My version of tapping) Hammer FGB styleee :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Just managed to get my 'pitman' arm off after 4 days of pulling, heating, hammering and swearing :shock: gonna start stripping it down next to see wots inside. Bearings and seals should be fairly standard stuff to get hold of, just the worm etc which cant be bought apparently.

Latest posts