Steering Rack Conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbmx

Reaction score
Wonder if any one could help me. I am thinking of upgrading to a steering rack from Bedford Raacal. My steering box has come to the end of its life. From all reading and hints I found online I think I am up for the job myself. Still have a few questions maybe some one could answer.

From what I have seen you have to use a special idler arm from vwjim, or else the steering will work the other way round. Isn't it possible to use a LHD idler arm instead or am i way out lol?

Any help is very much appreciated and also maybe if exists a link to a good how to.

Thanks

Kevin

68_early_bay said:
Just to throw something in the mix, graham L from midland early bay does a late bay box conversion, drive in service :)

That's what I would do if my steering needed replacing.

To be honest I think a rack conversion would be cheaper and more long lasting.A new late box is around 300 shipped to my country. The down side to a rack is that more fabrication is needed though.

Does anyone here have one and can point me in the right direction?

I did this (or rather, had this done) on my '71. Got a friend who had the idler arms manufactured and put together the rest of the bits. Think he was going to do some sort of kit, but this was a few years ago now.

Take a look at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ihdwxswfl0gy6fs/AACcUw0ZJWxxAEUh98cQ69-xa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. There are some pics in there (four rows up from the bottom)

Steve

Thanks for the pics. :) Do you think the arm is necessary, and was it worth doing ?

As fast as I can remember, yes everything was necessary as all the angles change.

To be honest, as it's been 9 years since I drove it with a 'box and the van still needs an MOT and 4 wheel alignment, it's difficult for me to say but from what I've heard others say, it's almost like driving a modern vehicle. More precise.

I've done both a latebay conversion and a rack, the late bay was by far the easier of the two. The time I have put into the rack is stupid, and wouldn't recommend it as the late box is great. I went for a rack due to issues with my steering idler and I like a challage but I now hate my bus and struggle to get motivated to finish the little bits. It does work and feels nice but I could have been using my bus if I went for a simple fix and kept the late box in.

So after some tought I decided to see if my steering box is fixable. I read on the internet to use liquid grease instead of oil. So I bought some castrol liquid and fillled the box. Wow what a difference. Feels much much better and lighter

Latest posts