Steering Swap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogerchris

Reaction score
Watcha, just joined the forum.We sold our late bay some years ago and are now looking for a very early bay. This has probably been asked before but I couldn't find it in the techy section.
Is it a difficult job to convert a L/H drive early bay to R/H drive and what parts other than a R/H drive dash will I require?
I have restored various classic cars in the past so I have a bit of experience with the mig welder and spanners.
Regards

Playing devil's advocate, why would you want to convert it (with the time/expense involved) in the first place?!

Just a thought but you could ask Danbury, I think they do it with the Brazillian imports that they convert into their campers. As they all end up RHD but with the sliding door on the offside not the nearside (as it would be if it was a genuine RHD). If you look at your cab floor you should see the mouldings for the steering column etc.

The main dash can stay with just the instrument cluster brackets to swap. padded top and instrument surround need to be swapped.
Seat runners and brackets need swapping or just add runners to passenger side.
Stearing box needs swapping and mountings fabed or a cut welding in.
Clutch and accelerator mountings and and controlling arm cuts welding in.
Cable conduits moving.
Swap steering arm on beam and move damper mount.
Extend loom or fit new loom.
Change brake pipes and brake resi.

Thanks for reply's, I will give Danbury a call, as you say its just the clusters that need swapping in the dash.
Rog

Latest posts