Steve's 1971 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the EZ kit and beam come with instructions or are you going to teach us all? :mrgreen:

Comes complete with instructions, but the instructions are aimed at fitting the EZ Rider kit to an existing beam so it talks about removing the leaves etc. As all is new in this case, I can skip some bits. I'll be taking pics anyway when I come to do it.

cunning plan said:
.. Damit, give the bodyshop a call, you need your bus back now! :p

I call him (Mark at MNC Autos) every 2 weeks now (was every 1 week, but that was too frequent!) to check on progress. I've given up on asking for a completion date as all I get is "it'll be ready when it's ready" as he does other 'normal' body shop stuff on a day-day basis to pay for his living (wish I'd known this at the beginning!).

Went to see the van yesterday and some progress had been made. All the doors, tailgate, bumpers etc. have been done. Just the roof of the van and the Dormobile roof to do. Should be a couple of weeks hopefully and then we'll have it back. Thankfully we can pay for it then too as the Icesave savings are on their way back.

Here are some pics:

n670915956_1553468_6093.jpg

n670915956_1553469_6361.jpg

n670915956_1553470_6613.jpg

n670915956_1553471_6871.jpg

Coming along nicely (all though slowly!!).

Where are you getting the underwater tanks from that go underneath please :wink:

72 euros doesn't sound to bad, although, by the time they come over the pond, be more like £100 - still be reasonable
at that cost though.

Keep me posted as, like you say, it frees up alot of space in the cupboards!!!!

Looks really great bet your chuffed to have it back and it fits in the garage etc is your van the standard height at the moment @ 2.11 m ish or taller?

Wondering whether I'd be able to use the Garador setup on my garage :?

I'd like to see more shots of that beam and what you have planned for it. Are you going up with it?

Man, I'd like to see some Dormobiles up close but I'm in the states, they simply are not here.

Nice work, way to keep at it! I know it can seem like hell in the beginning.

Cheers! :wink:

Having 2 kids under the age of 2 means I don't get a lot of time to work on the van, but I've managed to sneak in a couple of hour here and there and got the beam, discs and calipers on:

New '70/'71 discs (11.5mm), late bay calipers and Just Kampers conversion kit

Yes, it is lower using the 2"-4" Red 9 Design coil-over shocks. Need to get a better angle to illustrate it.
3082_78055365956_670915956_2175255_4181159_n.jpg

Back on original wheels for now. Got some BRM's to go on once I've got the tyres sorted.
3082_78055370956_670915956_2175256_5373541_n.jpg

robgreensmith said:
It looks like the wait was worth it looking at the paintwork? I bet you cant wait to drive it again?
:D

Yes and yes :lol:

Paint is not dead straight/show winning material but the brief was for a family holiday vehicle which will be used regularly and it's perfect for that.

Just waiting for my wife's maternity leave to end so we can get some additional funds coming in again to get it finished. Should be done next year at some point.

can i just say how impressed/envious i am at the work you've done here and the skills you have to do it yourself. I would love to do a fraction of what you've managed here on a project of my own. Can't wait to see more progress. :)

Latest posts