stiff gear shifter ?????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebug

Reaction score
Had same prob earlier in the year when bus has been stood a while the gear lever is really hard to move ,once in gear and running, frees off any ideas much appreciated ,thanks Dave........ :( :(

I had a split that did that, engine mount had gone sloppy and there was some weight pushing down on the gear shift linkage. Snapped soon after

Rexer said:
I had a split that did that, engine mount had gone sloppy and there was some weight pushing down on the gear shift linkage. Snapped soon after
better get that looked at then mate, but surely if that was the case it would stay stiff and not loosen off ? :roll:

Mine is the same way. When first start the bus and take off (cold motor/tranny) it is hard to shift. Specially going from Neutral to 1st gear. Once I drive it around for a bit and all is warmed up, it shifts easy. I have yet to tackle this problem so I will be watching this thread for ideas of what could be going on!! :D

davebug said:
Rexer said:
better get that looked at then mate, but surely if that was the case it would stay stiff and not loosen off ? :roll:

Actually if memory serves it was the other way round. It was fine from cold but when warm the rubber got more squishy and the box hung lower putting stress on the gear linkage.

Food for thought though

Come on guys surely one of you techno masters has some idea to my little problem ?????? HELP......... :( :(

Seized or seizing pedal assembly.

I had same problem finally diagnosed, had pedal assembly dismantled, copper eased, springs replaced. Problem solved.

whats the oil like in g/box,if its gone gloopey then it will thin when hot and make shift better,put some fresh in ;)

Please excuse my lack of familiarity with Bays but I would still check the clutch is not dragging (bad adjustment or a spring plate/CRB on its way out). This in addition to a cold box would make it difficult to engage 1st, but when running would be less noticable. If once you get in 1st, see if the clutch is dragging by keeping your foot on the clutch and check engine revs vs neutral and see if there is any forward motion.

When these bays were new - showing my age here :lol: - there was a well known problem with stiff gear selection when cold, particularly selecting first gear in cold weather.

It was caused by the synchro rings in the box baulking. They did this because the oil, when cold was too thick.

The reccomendation was to change from the originally specified EP 90 gear oil to the slightly thinner EP 80.

I would recommend trying a gearbox oil change before looking for any more complex solution.

Trikky2 said:
When these bays were new - showing my age here :lol: - there was a well known problem with stiff gear selection when cold, particularly selecting first gear in cold weather.

It was caused by the synchro rings in the box baulking. They did this because the oil, when cold was too thick.

The reccomendation was to change from the originally specified EP 90 gear oil to the slightly thinner EP 80.

I would recommend trying a gearbox oil change before looking for any more complex solution.
Thanks for that trikky,that sounds the most accurate description of what is happening,will try fingers crossed x

Latest posts