Stock height differences

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie

Reaction score
We picked up our first Bay yesterday from Midland Early Bay (totally recommended) and it seems a bit 'high' when looking at what I think are other standard height bays.

Do buses have a 'standard' height or do they tend to all be a bit different? Ours is a 1971 Microbus Deluxe USA import.

Jamie
I'll take a tape measure to the arches front and rear tomorrow, and let you know, as far as our bus is concerned and as far as I know it has never been altered also sits high at the front.

Perhaps its a southern thing ... as we're also down at Petersfield
Baz

Pickles said:
Jamie
I'll take a tape measure to the arches front and rear tomorrow, and let you know, as far as our bus is concerned and as far as I know it has never been altered also sits high at the front.

Baz

Thanks Baz

That would be good mate.

Merlydog said:
sparkywig said:
Loxy said:
Think you will find that's how they came originally, most have sagged over the years.

as you'll find out when you get to my age.....

You got the spindles on yet Sparky??

Haven't had time yet Sarah, been working weekends and evenings while I've got the chance.
But expect some pics next weekend. ;)

Glad it`s not just mine that looks high at the front, (preying mantis stance), toying with the idea :idea: I might not lower the front, and instead slightlly raise the rear and maybe some butch looking snow / offroad type tyres. I don`t Baaa down with the rest usually. :shock: :shock: :? :shock: :shock:

Ozziedog ,,,,,,,,,,, Just a little bit different :roll: ;) :roll:

glad you made it home ok,not put the missis of buses then!first time to drive a bus ,lhd and learn to play the magic wand with her right hand :shock: happy days 8)

Pickles said:
Jamie

Baz

And I'm just a little further west, along the M27, and mine sits quite hight at the front too! :D

My parents had a '72 model year from new, and that was very 'nose up' but we put it down to the fact that it was one of the very first to be fitted with the Type 4 1700 engine, and the heavier engine made it squat, and Volkswagen had at that stage not made sufficient compensation to the suspension. :)

67panel said:
glad you made it home ok,not put the missis of buses then!first time to drive a bus ,lhd and learn to play the magic wand with her right hand :shock: happy days 8)

Thanks mate yes all good! :D

Good to meet you and thanks for your time on Friday. 8)

I thought the idea was they were all meant to sit nose happy so when there is weight in the front (driver and other self loading cargo) it sits level.

Hey PW, how much do you reckon they should drop then ?? Should they level out then theoretically ? As mine drops less than an inch when my slight body enters the cab :D About 15 1/2 stone before you ask. I only know this because of the difficulty getting in and out of my garage (headheight) and I have to take the little top off the skylight which is about 18" behind the cab. Pain in the ass remembering to put it back on before it rains, not so bad in the summer but aching neck this time of year. Going for the T Haus spindles soon. 8)

Ozziedog :)

Look at any rear engined vehicle that is 30 or more years old. Renault Dauphine, Hillman Imp, Corvair, VW etc, they have all sagged at the back. Would have thought it obvious really, all that weight of engine and gearbox overhanging the rear springs for so long, it has to have sagged by now. I would suspect the front is about standard and the rear needs raising to bring it back to stock height. If you see genuine period pics, (not artists impressions) all varieties of VW sit a lot higher than most think is 'normal'.
And they all came out of the factory the same height, sitting level as far as I know. :D

So,,,,,,,,,, Are you trying to say I`ve got a saggy ass !!!! :lol: :lol: You might just be right you know. And the bus seems to have dropped a bit as well. !!! ;) :lol: ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,saggier than most :!:

Latest posts