stock seats or modern one's

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterListerSir

Reaction score
We had a great drive to flambards this Saturday with the kids but both woke up with sore backs.
I always wanted to keep og seats but the wife would like newer ones with head rests.
Any thoughts? Don't want massive ones though

Sorry no - I think there's been a few threads on here about them though

Porsche tombstones from a 944 are v comfy and have quite a sympathetic look imho. Put these in this summer as my og ones were long gone...
65737a12de873afc1f7ed761a2590695.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you fold the tombstones? I haven't looked into it much but was under the impression that only stock seats will allow you to have a child bunk up front (dunno if that matters to you OP) due to clearance issues.

I had calibra seats in mine, very comfy. Had to go back to stock for the cab bunk though. Got the calibra seats for sale if you are interested. Stock isn't too bad really once they were repadded but definitely not as comfy as more modern options

Yeah, you can fold the tombstones with catch like you would originally in Porsche, handy for storing stuff behind the seats etc. But think you're right wouldn't be able to fit a child bunk for front cab with them in.

Get your stock seat repadded and recovered, makes a massive difference. We manage 3-4 hour runs at a go without any ill effects.

admwllms said:
only stock seats will allow you to have a child bunk up front (dunno if that matters to you OP) due to clearance issues.

Bugger! hadn't thought about that. :oops: Got some Jag seats to put in looks like will have to lose the child bunk (storage option). Doh! :roll:

When we bought our bus it had Golf GTI seats in, and to be honest they were dreadful. Went back to stock with brand new coconut padding, one word....Awesome. I suffer with backache if in my car for a few hours but no such problems in the bus, sitting position is perfect and love the stock look of them. :D

Graham L said:
Get your stock seat repadded and recovered, makes a massive difference. We manage 3-4 hour runs at a go without any ill effects.

Would love to but it wouldn't cure the headrest problem.

MisterListerSir said:
Graham L said:

Have you looked at late bay seats then, depends whether you need to use a cab bunk or not as headrests stop these being used

This is one of the main conversations here I'm still running the original front bench seat but looking at replacing it with something along the lines of a rear jag bench

MisterListerSir said:
Graham L said:

You can probably still get those clip on head rests - they looked awful back in the day but might have a nice retro appeal now
(like bead seat covers...)

(not mine)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-Classic-car-adjustable-headrests-rare-60s-70s-Porsche-Alfa-lambretta-/301818374514?hash=item4645c6e972:g:WkcAAOSwU~FWEOJD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Graham L said:
MisterListerSir said:
Graham L said:

Have you looked at late bay seats then, depends whether you need to use a cab bunk or not as headrests stop these being used
With two little kids and a dog we do need a cab bunk.
Did any late bays have removable headreats?

yes I have late bay/v early T3 front seats, blue/grey cloth weave, very durable - and they have removable headrests - fantastic improvement on driving comfort and stability, fore and aft adjustable on the original early bay runners, which had to be cut and pasted to fit but was very straightforward, slightly higher sitting position so could affect the reach to the pedals if driver had v short legs! the seatbacks are tiltable - and they don't have armrests, which is good cos they would foul the doors otherwise...
can post some pics tomorrow if helps
cheers
Rob

I had Vauxhall Cavalier seats in mine, with headrests & still had a cab bunk. They will all work together if you want.

Graham L said:
MisterListerSir said:
Graham L said:

Or even dare I say T25 seats. I picked a couple up dirt cheap, had them restuffed and upholstered, and never have any back pain (and I have a wrecked back :cry: ). They have head rests too.

Kev

Latest posts