Stopping Hubcaps from going walkies..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistler

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
Hi all,

I had a quick search but couldn't see anything. Basically, has anyone thought about or worked out how to stop the hubcaps from being nicked? I was looking on Heritage and I see they sell original baby moon hubcaps which I want to get further down the line, but at £56 each we were thinking how we could stop possible theives taking them!

Ta!

...Keep em locked up at night, take them off when you're not driving. Or just invest in not having them.

=0) and save £224, and having to fret bout it! ;)

Just buy the repro ones for £9 each, then you won't worry so much. Keep them clean and waxed and they'll even last a year or so :msn4:

steamo said:
Just buy the repro ones for £9 each, then you won't worry so much. Keep them clean and waxed and they'll even last a year or so :msn4:

I've been running a mixture of old repro and old original ones on my van, and not lost one yet in 6 years. One made a bid for freedom on a country lane once, but it was recovered safely :lol:

I've lost a couple one in Italy that was heading for a fiat in the outside lane like a frisbee( keep driving don't look back :msn4: ) and another in Belgium that flew up the embankment :lol:

Boy those babies fly .... Both were good og too :cry:

Chris

crede999 said:
I've lost a couple one in Italy that was heading for a fiat in the outside lane like a frisbee( keep driving don't look back :msn4: ) and another in Belgium that flew up the embankment :lol:

Boy those babies fly .... Both were good og too :cry:

Chris

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Like your style....hmmm dont look back, could be a bit of good advice for life in general :D...Unless you are reversing the Bus !!

Bwuttonmoon said:
steamo said:

Where can I get £9 hubcaps from? I need a set :mrgreen:

Got some from limebug couple of weeks ago. Mine are plain baby moon type but sure they did other sorts to.

right ho, well i may have some input to this after the weekend. Im putting early bay moons onto post 72 wheels, which they arnt designed for. I figured that the three lugs would hold them, nope, added some clips (rivet) nope. Add more clips? well thats one job, have also spent £20 on a couple of taps and ss screws as well as some self tappers - I wont be beaten!

eveing all

i have found that if you make the drain holes a little bigger then feed a clear cable tie in one hole through one of the metal springs then back out again pull it very tight and cut off they never come off.

since doing this i haven't lost one and one did come loose but made such a noise i stopped

hope this helps

JTB

AndyO said:
right ho, well i may have some input to this after the weekend. Im putting early bay moons onto post 72 wheels, which they arnt designed for. I figured that the three lugs would hold them, nope, added some clips (rivet) nope. Add more clips? well thats one job, have also spent £20 on a couple of taps and ss screws as well as some self tappers - I wont be beaten!

The ones I bought were baby moons especially designed for post 72 wheels. Might be worth a punt at 35 quid.

steamo said:
AndyO said:

The ones I bought were baby moons especially designed for post 72 wheels. Might be worth a punt at 35 quid.

I'm guessing no VW logo? It's all about aesthetics...

Ah yeah mine are plain I'm afraid. I'm fitting them to 15" steels off a merc, the metal banding used for strapping stuff to pallets is quite good for making clips out of.

Well, hope this should help, we ended up screwing the hubs to the wheels using M3 screws, tapped out four holes per wheel, pics should explain all:
ateru9uh.jpg
te2uge9y.jpg
zu8ejyby.jpg
avehyzu3.jpg

Latest posts