Stuck speedo, can anyone help?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodgins

Reaction score
So changing the speedo cable is supposed to be simple isn't it.. Unscrew at the clock end and remove c clip at the wheel, pull through n easy right?
Wrong. It's a Volkswagen.

So now I have the end of the speedo stuck in the hub, nothing sticking out and it is refusing to pull through. It is jammed in there somehow, won't pull out and won't push back through. Any ideas please before I burn it all

You levered off the 2" diameter hub cap, that the cable goes through? Do that after you remove the E clip, that'll relieve a good binding point and make the cable easier to remove. It can be removed using a big flat screwdriver or crowbar easily, or a small hammer with some finesse.
After that, go from the wheel to the speedo making sure everything's clear- it's actually a lot easier on a van than on a beetle.
Slide yourself underneath the bus between the chassis rails, pull it away from the wheel area
Move forward (may have to take front belly pan off) make sure everything's clear as it goes upwards through the "deformation" panel.
Go inside and pull up
should be pretty free by this point :)

Thanks for the reply, only just remembered to reply. I ended up having to drive it through the hub with a large hammer and long screwdriver. There was eons old crud that had almost solidified stopping it from just pulling through!

Latest posts