Sump full of fuel (again)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
Went to start the bus yesterday, wouldn't turn over and got a strong whiff of petrol. Checked the battery 12.6v. Noticed petrol dripping from underneath. Guess what yep, another sump full of petrol and a hydraulic lock.
Ordered a fuel cut off solenoid to stop this nonsense.

Went to start the bus yesterday, wouldn't turn over and got a strong whiff of petrol. Checked the battery 12.6v. Noticed petrol dripping from underneath. Guess what yep, another sump full of petrol and a hydraulic lock.
Had the same problem a while back, turned out to be a needle valve that needed replacing, was less than 1000 miles old.

J & P
:D:D:D

Still need to sort the actual issue though as some may still drain down and dilute your lubricant. What carbs we talking about here , and fuel pump, and the history bud.

Ozziedog,,,,,, Needles are made of Chinesiom or chocolatttte nowdays :)

Had this problem once before. 1776 twin 34 ICT's, Huco electric fuel pump. I stripped the carbs and replaced both needle jets 6 months ago, floats tested ok and set to 8mm gap.
I'm guessing that the engine is creating a vacuum once stopped and causing a syphon effect, but I also would expect the fuel pump to close and also once the carb fuel bowls are full the needle jets would stop any more fuel entering them.
Another strip down on the cards and somehow test the fuel pump...

Be worth checking the fuel pressure. I have had pumps pushing too much fuel through. May need a pressure regulator

I have a Huco pump and its a free flow design so when its switched off the fuel will flow through it

Fuel pressure with the Huco 133010 is 2.1 psi which is perfect for ICT's. Also the pump is self priming and should stop when no fuel is needed.
I have drained my sump, waiting for a cut off solenoid to arrive, but will check carb floats and needle valves again.

My money is still on those needles and seats even though they’re fairly recent. ill try and find a thread where someone was saying they could buy some good ones.

Ozziedog,,,,, I’ll start looking.

Took carbs apart, checked needle valves are seating ok by holding the top of the carb upside down and blowing into the fuel inlet, both carbs sealing properly.
Immersed both floats into water, no bubbles. However I did notice that one seemed heavier than the other. Weighed them, one 17.5gm the other 23gm. So I am guessing that the good old E10 fuel is having an effect on them?? Anyone else had this?

Anyone know what the correct weights for the plastic floats are, I have seen on the interweb 10.7 to 11gm...

Took carbs apart, checked needle valves are seating ok by holding the top of the carb upside down and blowing into the fuel inlet, both carbs sealing properly.
Immersed both floats into water, no bubbles. However I did notice that one seemed heavier than the other. Weighed them, one 17.5gm the other 23gm. So I am guessing that the good old E10 fuel is having an effect on them?? Anyone else had this?

Anyone know what the correct weights for the plastic floats are, I have seen on the interweb 10.7 to 11gm...
That seems quite a big difference in weight.
Are you sure there’s not a gasket, or similar, missing on one?

Float them in some fuel and look at the differing 'plimsol lines' then try leaving them on the window sill for week or two to see if they 'dry out'

I might be getting on in years but I’m not gaga yet. Yes the gaskets are there, besides petrol would have been pissing out everywhere if no gasket!
Service kits from Eurocarb ordered.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpeg
    IMG_0017.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
One of the things I’ve noticed with plastic floats is their ability to hide noise. With the old ones you could shake them and hear anything sloshing about. Never ever thought to weigh them, that’s a great idea. I’d now try drying them out and rotating them to see if you can get the slightest dribble out. Strange the different weights. I’ve got some old ones down the garage but the best I’ve got is kitchen scales.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,I’ll have a little look see right now :)

Ok, that worked. I’ve just weighed three old floats. The two brass / copper ones were 10g and 11g, and the plastic one is 16g. The metal ones I’ve kept because I think they are still good, the plastic one I don’t know much about.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, my money is still on them needles and their seats.:)

Cut off solenoid fitted. Carbs rebuilt with new gaskets, accelerator pump diaphragms and floats.
Filled up with new oil (was drained a few days ago so any remaining fuel has evaporated by now).
Went for a test drive checked oil levels. no smell of petrol, so hopefully all good now.

Latest posts