Sun canopy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiplee123

Reaction score
So I've been lookin round for a sun canopy for my westy.

There's some nice examples out there but I didn't won't a blue or bright yellow sun canopy , just wonted something rustic or something to match my pop top canvas , something thick and heavy , water proof and will protect the kids from the sun.

I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.
So I decided to make my own!

I purchased one of these

Uv proof , water proof cotton ( with a waxy coating ) 6 x 8 ' tarp sheet

Purchased some tent poles which I cut to length

Gutter clamps purchased from jk

Got my seventy five year old ex seamstress aunt to sow me a seam / channel big enough to fit a gutter pole

I'll post pics of end result

I'm happy !

Prob cost £65-70 ? Half the price of some on the market .

The money wasn't the issue but no one sold what I was looking for , the colours or the type of material. I didn't really won't polyester especially in bright colours.

Fairly easy to sort

Ready for DATH next weekend :D

Cheers Granny looking really nice!!! :lol: :lol:
Oh and the van looks the biz to.
Sorry Auntie.

J & P
:D :D :D

She may b 75 ish but still got a lot of go in the old girl lol!

Industrial sowing machine needed as it was bloomin thick waxed canvas !

Glad she could help as I didn't have the tools or know how to sow

Thanks chaps 8)

I was quite happy with it !

Childsey ( wow gotta watch that phone text predictor with your name :shock: )

Thanks chap , why don't people sell these . Simple rustic water and u v proof !

I'd love to help u out chap and if I had the sowing machine I'd do it but I can't get the old girl to start knocking them out , I'd feel to guilty ! , she's about 75 !

Easy to sort tho ! Just get the parts and then take the tarp to a shop to get the hem increased to a size that will accommodate a pole ..... Simples :D

Having scaled down on the awning and gone for a smaller tent - both for ease of use and because it's smaller and lighter for packing in the van - the mrs has only gone and bought a sun canopy/gazebo type thingy the size of a small house and the weight of a small car ... sheeesh! :oops:

She came back from Halfords with one of these:
http://www.halfords.com/camping-car...zebos-windbreaks/urban-escape-outdoor-shelter

Blogdroed

Last season we had a large coleman event shelter. You could park a tin top under it!

Was great.

If it was just me n mrs shippas then a sun canopy would be enough. Quick n easy

As we got kids - loads ov um , we kinda need a tent as well for stuff and emergency nappy changing etc lol !

I'm sure you'll love your canopy !
Great fun putting them up in the wind :cry:

Latest posts