• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Swap wanted

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob-stone

Reaction score
I really miss my old tin top bay so I am looking to trade by lovely bug back for a van
I know it’s a long shot but I suppose it’s worth a try.

The bug is a 1974 Karmann cabrio. Imported from Italy and rebuilt around 2003 by Paul Knight of ultra VW fame.

It’s a very tidy example that needs no welding or any major work doing to it. I believe the colour is an old Porsche orange from the 70’s. It shines like new with only a few blemishes to speak of.

It’s lowered with adjustable Kerscher coil over’s on the front and red 9 design 2” drop plates at the back. The wheels are chrome Mangles with nearly new tyres all round. The car drives superb and could be lowered even more if that’s your thing.

The motor is a 1600tp. I rebuilt it over winter and brought it back to stock. It’s got a single carb and pea shooter tips and runs like a little sewing machine, easily capable of reaching legal motorway speeds.

The roof is in excellent condition. It does not leak or let in drafts and goes up and down with ease. Interior wise it has a pair of Recaro seats, a Porsche steering wheel and an Empi/Scat style shifter. Other than that it’s pretty stock. If I was to keep the car I would get the seats recovered because the passenger bolster is a little worn however this doesn’t distract from the overall good condition.

The car is a joy to own and drive. My initial plan was to put a massive engine in the back of it but I soon realised that it doesn’t need one. I prefer to cruise round at a slower pace and enjoy the scenery.

The only bad points are a bent tie rod. This doesn’t effect the drive too much however the turning circle is larger turning right than turning left. Also, I think the flywheel oil seal gave up on the way to dubs at the castle last weekend. It started dripping oil when hot and the clutch slipped under load. I plan to drop the engine in the coming weeks and sort that out.

As always, it’s difficult to put a price on something like this. It’s insured for 8k but in the real world Id like to think its worth around 6k

I would really like to swap it with a bay either early or late. I would prefer something with windows and I’m not too fussed about interiors. I don’t mind projects that need a little tinkering but please don’t fob me off with fillered, bodged bangers.

If your interested in trading your slightly tired bay for a super clean bug please let me know. :D

DSCF7250.jpg

DSCF7277.jpg

DSC00053-1.jpg

Latest posts