T2d. What a rip off.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davedub

Reaction score
I have been looking to get my bus lowered. I was looking at the type 2 detectives and there one day lowering service is noW. £1,035. Are they taking the pee or what.

This was only 300 quid a few years ago. And this is for the adjusters not dropped spindles.

Can't believe they are charging this amount..

I am certainly not going near them at that price but need my bus dropped a couple of inches. Any recommendations in or around london to get this done.

wow - that is a lot - hade mine done by graham @ midland early bay and it was a lot less than that! Like T2D - did a great job on welding and painting in my windscreen surrond and was quite reasonable, have you given them a call to confirm thats correct?

Yeah, that is a lot of money, but before branding this a rip off you need to check that you are comparing like-for-like?

For example, most 'same day' services carry a premium these days.

K

Davedub said:
I have been looking to get my bus lowered. I was looking at the type 2 detectives and there one day lowering service is noW. £1,035. Are they taking the pee or what.

This was only 300 quid a few years ago. And this is for the adjusters not dropped spindles.

Can't believe they are charging this amount..

I am certainly not going near them at that price but need my bus dropped a couple of inches. Any recommendations in or around london to get this done.

This price does include adjusters for the beam (£100?) rear springplates (£250?) and front dampers (£100?). So there's £450 approx in parts that other places won't be included. Tyre places can charge upto £50 for tracking, so there's £500 total. I guess T2D are vat registered, so take all that on board on the price is about right.
Seems they are pre empting the scenario when people want a van lowered for a couple of hundred quid cash and then find out they need x, y and z afterwards to make it drive properly.

It's just a complete package, not a rip off.

I think the going rate is 600 for that service with the vat

Jth

All I can say is I haven't been back, shop about try graham or Ballsd or the others.

Jth

What Clem said. The one day service never use to include adjusters and rear springplates.

2.5" dropped spindles would give you the couple of inches drop you are looking for and its a DIY job, we sell the French Slammer ones which are similar to the Wagenswest ones and available as Drum/ 71/72 & Late Bay set up as well as Porsche 944 so you dont have to run adaptor brackets :)

Exchange price on these is £450.

Harry Harpic VW in Southend on sea, call and speak to Paul around £350-£400 last time Paul
Lowered a bus on adjusters for me, dropped it in the morning picked it up in the evening

Had mine done at Manflowers in Evesham, too far for you I know but they fit the Red9 kits and are local to me. I had ezi-riders and adj spring plates and am chuffed as a chuffed thing on chuffed Sunday with the kit and ride. Maybe a option to look at....

£300 quid these days sounds like cut'n turn money.....

had my bus lowered by T2D .....4 INCH narrowed beam with adjusters...drop ball joint spindles...narrowed track control arms...tracking and alignment, adjustable coilover shocks
rear...adjustable spring plates, shorter travel shocks........tested and driven by t2d [ so it was'nt done in a day]

it has since done 50,000 km throughout europe....heavily loaded with precious cargo...kids, dogs....bikes, [sometimes at 80mph ...without kids :D ] everyone who has got behind the wheel says its one of the nicest buses they have ever driven.....for me I'd look elsewhere in my budget to save money, you do get what you pay for ;)

I don't think it's too bad for a one day service, given T2D are a European wide recognised garage. If you came to sell it is a recognised brand which might add some value. Same as Transporter Haus by Graham etc. A good product fitted by a known garage will always add value or desirability, and can be trusted to be done right.

You've also got to factor in location - time spent running around and taking days off work all have their cost.

Also, as we all know, nothing is cheap these days. To run a garage is expensive. And the more lads you take on, and the brand you try to build, all costs money.

Each to their own, there are alternatives for everyone out there, to suit their budget.

Just do it your self it's quite easy

All you need is a welder and a grinder and a bit of mechanical know how, air cooled vw,s are very easy to work on and you get a lot of job satisfaction,

lowbus said:

All you need is a welder and a grinder and a bit of mechanical know how, air cooled vw,s are very easy to work on and you get a lot of job satisfaction,

You're right, its relatively easy, but you'll need the welder and grinder, plus decent jacks, axle stands, a good breaker bar, all the relative sockets etc. Ball joint splitters, tracking gauges , grease gun .... all stuff that long term van botherers will have but for many, especially newcomers, its a lot to come up with, plus the immediate time, facilities and know how to undertake a job that needs to be done safely.

As has been said, there are many routes to lowering at various price points. I don't think anyone has yet quoted an equivalent service at a significantly cheaper price point yet ...

Clem said:
lowbus said:

You're right, its relatively easy, but you'll need the welder and grinder, plus decent jacks, axle stands, a good breaker bar, all the relative sockets etc. Ball joint splitters, tracking gauges , grease gun .... all stuff that long term van botherers will have but for many, especially newcomers, its a lot to come up with, plus the immediate time, facilities and know how to undertake a job that needs to be done safely.

As has been said, there are many routes to lowering at various price points. I don't think anyone has yet quoted an equivalent service at a significantly cheaper price point yet ...
Don't forget a 10mm spot weld drill and some beam adjusters

Just my penny's worth, but I'd remove the original beam and fit a narrowed beam with adjusters already in. An original solid beam is worth at least £200. Put this towards a proper lowered beam(circa £500) and do the job right. Depending on ride height you may get away with original shocks, just need to shorten/buy new track rods and shorten leaf springs. I'm speaking from experience and it worked for me. You can even buy standard width beam if preferred. Love my Creative Weedeater, quality :D

you could always keep it as standard ride height,no worrying looks when going over speed bumps or getting on and off pitches.
Mine corners like a roll on roll off ferry :lol: but i like it the way it left the VW factory,totally stock apart from interior colour and Firetec system and Faux's double bed,not his own mind!! ;)

Regards.

Sharky.

Thanks for all the info and tips guys. I just thought the web price was high as the parts are cheap and dropped spindles are expensive.

But now there is little in The difference when going to T2d. Was just thinking the price has tripled in three years. Yes inflation and expertise are well valued but i actually only want the front dropped a couple of inches and thougt this is a lot of money. As it can probably be done in three hours when you have the correct equipment and tools.

Not having a pop at the guys that do it but it is simply a lot of cash for me..

Will keep looking into this before i get it done, but would like it done in london or near watford.

PS. Love the work n that prosign bus. Proper quality paint job. The best roof in the country i have ever seen.

Davedub said:
Thanks for all the info and tips guys. I just thought the web price was high as the parts are cheap and dropped spindles are expensive.

But now there is little in The difference when going to T2d. Was just thinking the price has tripled in three years. Yes inflation and expertise are well valued but i actually only want the front dropped a couple of inches and thougt this is a lot of money. As it can probably be done in three hours when you have the correct equipment and tools.

Not having a pop at the guys that do it but it is simply a lot of cash for me..

Will keep looking into this before i get it done, but would like it done in london or near watford.

PS. Love the work n that prosign bus. Proper quality paint job. The best roof in the country i have ever seen.

Dude, give Paul a ring , he will quote you on just a front end adjustment and rear match up I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts