Techenders Sept 14-16 2012 - learn a bit about your van.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyrooo1

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm unsure if you have a thread running on the techenders subject, for those that don't know it's a laid back weekend that brings together vw guys who will share info from as small as changing bulbs to servicing to anything within reason, it's twice a year and the next one's in September, the idea i belive originated on the jk site but it's died off a bit in the last few years as people come and go etc etc, anyway the last one in april still went ahead and was still well attended but didn't seem to be promoted very well, one of the guys off the latebay site (tuesdays wildchild) has reluctantly taken over sorting it and has asked me to help him, your very own zedbed off this site always shows his face along with a few other knowledgable chaps to lend a hand/offer advice. I've just posted on the latebay and because i can't be fussed to alter the post i'll copy and paste it here to show you so if it doesn't make full sense i apologise!

I know there's a sticky but Zed commented we possibly need a seperate thread to judge numbers and tell you without you reading through all the piffle what this involves.
Techenders is basically camping (if you like - you can day visit) with a few guys who know stuff and who will help you/give instruction on jobs you need to do on your van.
It's twice a year and it's here http://www.victoria-farm.org/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The owner Eddie is a vw nut and has a few vans himself, he also has a decent workshop with ramps that he lets you use.
Camping is cheap (about £7 a night i think) and his mrs does a mean breakfast, there is a chinese and pub close by and also a few vw parts suppliers locally if you get stuck.
The 2nd one this year is the weekend of the 14th (Friday) through to Sunday 16th of September.
If you'd like to come there's no set rule of when you arrive it's pretty laid back but it would help if we have a rough idea of numbers - i'll be there from friday mid afternoon.
If you're a novice who can't even change the oil come along, if you're clued up on any part and fancy helping out come along, we can never tell what "experts" turn up as nobody charges for advice so there's no real guarantee they'll turn up, Zed never misses one and there's usually plenty of guys who know enough to at least point you right - plus half the time it's about having the confidence to do something with someone else there to tell you it won't explode - right?.
Tuesday Wildchild has (he assured me) booked it so we are all good to go and if anyone's got any questions ask away and if you're coming let us know so we have a rough idea, to be honest if it's just me and zed and tuesday it will be on but we'd like to see you there too, even if you don't want to fix anything but want a chill out weekend think about it - we are allowed fire!

Hope this helps - any questions fire away and i'll try to help - or maybe zed will pop his head round the door.

Been looking forward to this, alas the dates clash with something else that I cannot change so reluctantly I have to pass this time.

Any idea of the April'13 dates?

there's usually a vote nearer the time, no idea yet as it's 7 months away, shame you can't make it.

If we are getting enough interest, there will be semi-formal engine servicing teaching. This would comprise oil change, valve gap setting, points and timing check/set. Each seperate item would be explained then off you go and do the stuff. Plenty of on hand experience if you're unsure. Once everyone's done one thing, on to the next - or romp ahead if you're more confident but feel you'd just like someone to check what you've done. This can take best part of the day on Saturday.

In the past we've changed clutches, shimmed end float, done top end rebuilds, replaced heater components and pop-top canvas's, done brake servicing and adjustment - you name it. All in a field.

If you fancy a more involved job, best arrive Friday afternoon and get stuck in so if you need unexpected parts, the local gsf will still be open. Also chat about it on here - no doubt someone will volunteer to lend a hand - if you take out your engine, everyone will help. :lol: Try and stop them!

Other than these technical distractions during the day, it's a camping weekend with food, drink BBQ's and a camp fire as per any other camping weekend.

The site is great and the owner, Ed, very hospitable. Breakfast has already been mentioned... Dogs and children of all shapes and sizes welcome.

pity clashes with another local event at Birdingbury that im allready booked into for the weekend or i would have gone.
will have to see about next year.
Pete

Don't fancy doing a UK tour do you? It's a bit far away for us carrot crunchers in the West Country :mrgreen:
Sounds like a great idea, I often thought it would be good to have an air cooled mechanics type course to attend to cover things like servicing and correct placement of fuel lines etc.
Maybe next year :?:

Techenders is also great for "that shouldn't be like that mate". Most of us have had experiences along the way and become a bit expert in one field or another. I've known people who know all about the T4 fuel injection system because they've HAD to find out, but know bugger all about the brakes because they still work fine. :) I think most of fall into that catagory - need to know.:)

I looked at a friends engine a couple of weeks ago because it was making noises and the crankshaft pulley had fallen off a couple of times. Once we disconnected the fan a very random clanking noise happened, worse at low revs. I think the cam gear has come loose.
But:
There was a hole in the inlet manifold pre-heat pipe.
The lower tins were on the wrong sides and back to front scooping up more air to battle the fan the faster you went.
The two lower vanes in the fan housing had rattled off and fallen through the hole to settle on the cylinders
The fan was out of cock
The top pulley was 8mm out of line with the lower one
The alternator stand was cracked more than halfway round
The valve clearences were tight or closed right up.
The head nuts were loose.
The HT leads caps had melted
The aluminium crank pully was cracked.
The engine was all new parts inc the case 1 year ago.
The oil temp guage had always been steady and not alarming.

The point of this post? A lot of this stuff would have been spotted at techenders before so much damage had happened. :mrgreen:
Scare tactics ^ ;) :lol:
It's all true though.

Not sure of plans yet but I would love to come!
Can I bring an engine that's still not installed in the van? :lol:

Gert Big T said:
Don't fancy doing a UK tour do you? It's a bit far away for us carrot crunchers in the West Country :mrgreen:
Sounds like a great idea, I often thought it would be good to have an air cooled mechanics type course to attend to cover things like servicing and correct placement of fuel lines etc.
Maybe next year :?:

It's not that far, there's usually one or two that make the trip just for the crack.

Re the distance, i "belive" it originally started many moons ago as an idea on the JK forum, the location was chosen due to it being central and also the owner hosts meets there for the splitty club, as with anything the organisers come and go as it's a pretty laid back affair (don't forget no profit is made and no mechanics are promised or charge for advice if they come) it has at one time had offshoot events held at JK headquarters but again i "belive" the original guys who used to run it have dropped out of the scene/grown up/got family etc etc so now there are a couple of us just keeping it afloat organisation wise and it's people like zed who had repair business that bark out instructions..... you'll usually find that most people have a good idea of the part you're stuck on and as zed says sometimes a different set of eyes picks up on something you think is normal, please don't expect a classroom teaching style approach, this is a laid back weekend where someone will help and advise BUT you will be spannering yourself, whatever job you require help with nobody has ever been left stranded on the Sunday, indeed Myself and a few others are now stopping until Monday so we can relax on the Sunday night.....

Hi, my van is pretty good but would love to bring my Type 3 if it's possible as it has twin carbs and an Auto box which I know nothing about. Is this possible?

Lowlightbay said:
Hi, my van is pretty good but would love to bring my Type 3 if it's possible as it has twin carbs and an Auto box which I know nothing about. Is this possible?
come in anything you like matey

If it seems a bit dead on this thread, go and lurk on thelatebay - they don't bite ;) In the events section.

Latest posts