Technical

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis483

Reaction score
Hi All
This will be my first post on Earlybay so here goes!
I have a late 1971 in need of a steering box as its knocking like crazy should I get mine re-furbed or get a new one?
Thanks for your help

dennis483 said:
Hi All
This will be my first post on Earlybay so here goes!
I have a late 1971 in need of a steering box as its knocking like crazy should I get mine re-furbed or get a new one?
Thanks for your help

Is it rhd or lhd? That has an effect on which route to take, early boxes are getting harder to source in good nick, late boxes a bit easier, don't know which one yours will have being late 71?

Graham at midland early bay does a drive in/out box swap service :mrgreen:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=57377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there excessive free play or is it just making noise?
They do make some noise when swinging the steering wheel side to side whilst stationary.
Before buying a replacement, check another bay to compare.
If after comparing it to another one its definitely got a problem, have you checked there's oil in there?
Have you tried adjusting it - as per the manual?

I would say that if it's definitely the box and you're a handy sort of fella... I'd be trying my hand at refurbishing it myself.

You'll likely need a friendly machinist to get rid of the galling on the main "peg" in the assembly.

You'll need a torque screwdriver that'll go down to 2-4in/lb.... OR use a pound weight on a 2-4" rod.

Other than that it's just seals and bearings available from the usual suspects... It's about £400 for a refurb service as I recall.

I have a tool for removing the drop arm to facilitate box removal if you need it.

Hi
I have no real play just a proper knocking sound load as you like when I turn right! And only when driven nothing when stationary?

If its not making noise when stationary and you do not have excessive free play in the steering box then the knock may not be a steering box problem.

Trikky2 said:
If its not making noise when stationary and you do not have excessive free play in the steering box then the knock may not be a steering box problem.

Agreed. Have you gone under the bus while someone turns the steering to have a look at all of the components? How's the rubber steering coupler and fasteners? How are the linkages? Where is the noise coming from exactly? Hope it something simple to fix.

Noise seems to be coming from the RH side of the foot well(passenger side), just off centre its loud and sounds like something rotating and catching on something?
I will get under and have a better look over the weekend.

Thanks for all the input its been very help full

Hi yes it is lowered and has been for a number of years this only started a few months back

Get underneath and have a looksy... You'll figure it out in no time I reckon. get someone to turn the wheel (or swing one of the road wheels around) and check for play. Also keep your eyes peeled for "clean" patches where bits may have been rubbing.

Hi All
Thanks for the advise I will be getting under the van this weekend and have a good look.

will keep you all posted

Latest posts