TEFAL 70 High Top from Austria

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't want it to look like this when it was welded in
hegarasu.jpg

Forgot to mention that I moved the flexible brake hose bracket 25mm to ensure the hose cleared the track rod.

Also had to make up a new brake hard-line with some tight bends!

With the front down with plenty of clearance it was time to return to the back. After previously having a slammed panel van with zero rear suspension travel, I was keen to create a better ride for this van. I started with "horseshoe" plates. Fitted to stock spring plates in stock position.

This gave a drop of around 75mm which was never going to be enough for my look.

I know it looks a little complicated but I thought I would give this set up a go. Horseshoe plates, fitted to adjustable spring plates, moved round one outer spline. If anyone else running this set up can give me their thoughts/comments/opinions good and bad, I'd be happy to listen.

You can see that the bottom of the spring plate is no longer sitting on the "stop" tab but still has plenty of suspension travel.

This now leaves the drive shafts against the chassis rails so next up is rear notches!

In the mean time Heres some fiddling with a couple of rust spots.
Popped out the Westy window from the sliding door

The rot had just started to break through.

junglefacejake said:
This was the difference between the two set-ups on the ground

You were right to go lower Jake. Coming along nicely fella :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Got back from Volksworld and feel that I really do need to push along a little more. Must organise getting those rear notches done. Everyone seems really busy.
Here's a pic from when I was last working on Tefal

Had some more time on the van recently. Not the most productive week but carried out a couple more rust repairs (boring but essential)

7ABDC195-12D7-4265-B8BE-3E7EB48E6E03-4089-000005E7B8EB3A4F.jpg

Cut out the rust where the front tub meets the floor and made a patch for the bottom of the tub

40933914-9B38-4B90-8DC1-BF458731EBA9-4089-000005E8FF77338B.jpg

Drilled out the spot welds along the edge section that I planned to cut out

56B9D1B8-3FBB-4FFB-9F70-14968C9BA218-4089-000005E930DA7D3B.jpg

Floor section removed and tub repair clamped in position

Floor repair section cut from a Schofields floor half

Tub repair welded in and floor trimmed to accept repair section. I kept the original groove in the floor as the repair groove was a different profile

Repair section ready for welding. Holes will be plug welded.

Welded, ground and ready for paint

And from underneath. I am quite happy with that considering I don't weld. Should look fairly factory once it's painted

Very tidy!

I was thinking of adding horshoe plates to the panel to increase suspension travel, but I am worried that I'll never get a bloody wheel off!
Is it much harder to change the rears with this combined set up?

gvee said:
Very tidy!

I was thinking of adding horshoe plates to the panel to increase suspension travel, but I am worried that I'll never get a bloody wheel off!
Is it much harder to change the rears with this combined set up?

No harder than it was anyway George. If you think about it, same wheel position (within the van) but moved back a spline to give you more travel. Until I get my rear notches done I cannot tell you what the ride is like but it makes logical sense

Latest posts