Temp Gauge problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niklee1

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls

I have fitted a temp gauge and have as far as I know wired it correctly as per the instructions but when I turn the ignition on the gauge shoots up to maximum and stays there!?!?!

I have checked the voltage on the three terminals and have power to the positive and a good clean earth on the negative, the wire from the sender is showing continuity to the body.

Any ideas?

Any pic's of rear gauge install? I had the same problem and turned out to be my own
fault, one of the wires was touching the holding shaft. I gave it too much torque and
went through the rubber grommet. Good luck hope this helps.

J & P
:D :D :D

The wire from the sender should not show continuety to the body.

It should show a resistance that changes with temperature. Use a meter to check the resistance.

If its zero at the gauge then check again on the senders own terminal with the wire to the gauge removed.

If it is not the above then: are you sure you have the correct style sender for the gauge?
i.e. a sump plug sender with a dipstick gauge and vice-versa are not the best of friends.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, it was the wire ring connector touching on the body of the sender so earthing the feed to the gauge. New problem is the gauge is violently bouncing around when accelerating, but not coasting, or cornering, or idling!?!?! But when driving it is flapping around like 'me nans tits in a storm' but at traffic lights etc it is stable and reads the correct temp...

Sounds like the wire may be flapping around moving a bad connection or touching something and sporadically shorting.

Trikky2 said:
Sounds like the wire may be flapping around moving a bad connection or touching something and sporadically shorting.

I don't think its touching anywhere but the wire could be loose in places as its not cable-tied completely (ie every 12 inches or so) but its new cable and I was very careful when running it from engine to dash... with no breaks etc...

do you think I should re-position the sender to the pressure relief valve screw? As I thought it might be the wind moving the cable, as it's currently attached to the oil drain plug!

Yes it could indeed be the connection being moved around by the airflow around the sump plug. See if you can make the connection more secure.

Personally I don't like the sump plug senders because its too easy to rip the wire off.

Latest posts