The panel/bus/westy van story so far ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebay

Reaction score
Well I`ve been on this forum for a while so I thought I`d better get a thread going ofthe van.
It kinda started with this !!
DSC00018-1.jpg

Well this really
Copyofsnowboardingbikefrance072-1.jpg

So then I did what I`ve told all my mates not to do.Go to a show and buy the first van you see.Here it is as I first saw it at bug jam.
thvwbaywindow1.jpg

My wife was`nt that impressed,rust,no tax or test,and the seller lived at bexhill on sea,I`m in sheffield ?.
Any way where there`s a will and all that.
Here it is arriving a week later.
VWBayWindow-2.jpg

NewImage.jpg

First thing was an M.O.T. and get rid of the pea green paint.
6092009050.jpg

Gave it a coat of grey primer,repaired the rust issues and drove around like this for a while.
Next was to drop it a little.So I took the front beam off and welded a set of adjusters in.
57.jpg

56.jpg

Decided on a colour of pale blue/white rof and bumpers.Had no cash for a pro paint job so thought I`d give it a go myself.
34.jpg

33.jpg

6092009088.jpg

6092009090.jpg

Didn`t go to badley its still on anyway,Also while doing this I was fitting a camper interior made by myself which I still keep changing the more I use it.Its not show standard but its functional.
6092009055.jpg

6092009056.jpg

Put a three bow roof rack on a set of sprintstars and off we went.
SUF988H-1.jpg

phonepics609097.jpg

Next I thought I`d better look at the engine,so during the winter I decided to ull it out.
phonepics048.jpg

Having taken a look inside and found lots of gunge I thought best for a full strip down.But as you know you start to think of bigger cc`s.Priced parts up for a mild 1776.Too much money and time for me to do,so had a look around for exchange units.Decided with price being a key issue to go with the engine shop,
vw008.jpg

Next big thing for us and the van was our wedding which we used the an to take me to church and me and my new wife to the recepction
WEDDING270.jpg

We also used the van for a few days of our honeymoon at robin hoods bay
cuba095.jpg

Next job was to extend the roof rack,managed to pick upanother three bow up,with the help of a joiner freind who cut and planed me some wood I extended it to make a full length rack.Also picked up the bra from one of the forum members.
HOLIDAY2009004-1.jpg

Had a great holiday down Cornwall.
HOLIDAY2009298.jpg

Thought Id better put some heat in the back as its a non walk thru model and we now had a new arrival
HOLIDAY2009018.jpg

Picked a propex up off of e-bay
bayvan035.jpg

bayvan027.jpg

Now there`s three of us I started to thin about space in the van.Always thought that the front seats are wasted space while camping.Decided to make a bench seat up with the flip back as used in some of the splity camper conversions.This meant being brave and cutting the bulk head out behind the front seats....
bayvan001.jpg

bayvan004.jpg

I started to make up some brackets.And bought som thrust bearings
baywindow003.jpg

Also turned some pins on the lathe
baywindow004.jpg

Made up all the plates and brackets needed.
baywindow008.jpg

baywindow005.jpg

Made the seat back and base from 40x40 angle and ply wood,mum made the covers for me.
bayvan010.jpg

Just need to cover the back now its all together.
bayvan008.jpg

Used it on holiday in cornwall last week and it worked very well
hliday2010002.jpg

Not got the pics on of it in action but will soon .

Hi mate that's a nice thread. Good pictures. Really like your work with the front seat 8)

Thanks for the comments,Yeh Ash thats wot you get for being late up for work !!.I`m never late now always early :D .
Here`s a pic of the back rest welded up and one of Edward sat in the front seat facing back :? if that makes sense.
hliday2010017.jpg

hliday2010150.jpg

Ok here`s a few pics of the front seat.
vwv002.jpg

vwv003.jpg

vwv004.jpg

vwv005.jpg

Also made this before we went on our hols,you gotta keep the wife happy,save her the cold dark trip to the loo !!.Must say it saves puttin all your gear back on in the night.
vwv006.jpg

And made this when we got back,I was fed up with tying the flag pole up so made this so I can just slot it in.
vwv001.jpg

As you can see in the pics of the seat base its in two parts,the front part hinged.1 so I can put the seat belt stalks under it and 2 so I can still use the space underneath where the spare would originaly live.

hi phil great blog ,im a member now ,so keep posting the pics there great to see ,catch you all later .ps how is the audi running and whats happening with the caravan ,keep us posted kev

It was my birthday last week and Michelle bought me this.
painting1006.jpg

Its one off of e-bay 15". The quality seem`s good I was disapointed at first as the horn push was about 8mm proud of the wheel.I decided to make a spacer for it you can see it in the picture painted silver,now it sits flush. :D Not been far yet but the small amount of driving I have doe it seem`s ok.

Awesome Awesome Awesome .

Brilliant work buddy. It is also great it is a panel 8) 8) 8) 8)

Liking the extra 'fixings' and stuff on the rack, keeps the 'industrial' look. :mrgreen:

Can't believe I missed this one the first time :shock:

Fantastic thread and the work on the front seat is blinding 8)

Well done sir ;)

Cheers guy`s.
Well when`s the best time to do some home body and paint repairs ?. The end of november with freezing tempratures ?.Well you just gotta do when you can and have the time, so thats what I`ve been doing.Here`s a few pics.
painting1002.jpg

painting1003.jpg

As you can see I ground out the bad bits,these are below the vents,none walk through panel`s have these.Water gets between the two spot welded panels over the ears.
painting1001.jpg

Painted some anti rust stuff on.
painting1005.jpg

Then put on some filler.Made up a paint booth in the garage
painting005.jpg

Then put the heat on for a couple of hours before painting.
painting1010.jpg

painting1011.jpg

Not done much lately,here`s a few pics of a cupboard I built over the hob.Also a bit of a storage rack.I put a please pass in the rear window wired through a flasher unit.
van004-1.jpg

van003.jpg

van001.jpg

Very cool, i like it loads, i remember this beast coming to my old shop when it was in primer :D . We are going to Skeg-vegas so if you fancy a cruise 8)

A up mate, cheers for that.Just been looking at your thead bus is looking real cool,see you have the please pass too. :D
Going to skeg on the friday afternoon staying at north shore campsite for two nights.Will see ya there.

Done another little job this week just to try and make life a little easier now Ed`s getting a bit bigger.Bought this table rail and fitted it.
vans001-1.jpg

Did have a body board looked good but not very practical,so I made this
vans003.jpg

vans002.jpg

Like I say now there`s three of us things have got to work not just look good. :)

Latest posts