The panel/bus/westy van story so far ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few more pics to up date you all :D
Front roof bolted in position
westyroof018.jpg

westyroof015.jpg

westyroof016.jpg

Side supports welded in.
westyroof018.jpg

westyroof020.jpg

westyroof019.jpg

:lol: :lol: Try not to Ash,got to do it when I can.Working 6 till 2 at moment which helps,as well as jugling an 8 week old and 3 1/2 year old and trying to stay in Michelle`s good books ;) .

bluebay said:
:lol: :lol: Try not to Ash,got to do it when I can.Working 6 till 2 at moment which helps,as well as jugling an 8 week old and 3 1/2 year old and trying to stay in Michelle`s good books ;) .

tricky business indeed

Done a bit more tonight and I`m really pleased how its going :D .Fitted the seals and edging trim around hole.
Here you go I know you want them !!!
westyroof2016.jpg

westyroof2015.jpg

westyroof2012.jpg

Can you westy boy`s and girls tell me if you think it looks right,the gaps near the gutters and the front to screen gap.

westyroof2014.jpg

westyroof2013.jpg

Also where the front roof meets the rear roof,my rear is a little higher,don`t know if I`ve pulled the front down too tight with the clips I made.Thanks all.
Phil.

Great Phil! I really admire your mechanical skills (and no doubt as a father and husband you must be great too if you can manage to get all this done :D )
I like the bracing that you have designed to strengthen the roof aperture...and I think the gaps are pretty alright as many "original" westys never seem to manage a perfect fit anyway
On the other hand you are now on to the next big hurdle... :roll: it seems that Fitting the canvas seems to be a tough job...but I'm sure you'll get top results there too!
I will look forward to your next pics....and by the way, what are you fitting upstairs? A continental bed?

Thanks Iberico, Yes now we have two boys in tow hence the westy roof, I`m in the process of making a continental bed.Me and Ed will be using it this summer ! While Michelle and the little un will be down on the rock n roller.
I`ve made the front hinges for the bed base just got the supports to make now.
phil.

Oh yes I`ve got the westy canvas I think it will be the last job I do fingers crossed on how it goes.I think I`ll post a question on here on how to do it :D .

Hey all not much progress,made these though for the westy continetal bed I`m making.
Hinges and support brakets.
westyroof3009.jpg

Been busy today,got the bed made up and first coat of varnish
westyroof4012.jpg

westyroof4014.jpg

Also got the ally trim for the canvas drilled and screwed on.

westyroof4017.jpg

westyroof4016.jpg

westyroof4019.jpg

Phil I plan on doing the same with my westie bed. How are you supporting the other end of the bed to the contour of the bus roof ? I was thinking a piece of 4 by 2 length of wood and rout it out to fit snug on the bend of the roof, then leaving a level flat surface to screw the ply too.

Plus I know your a very busy man and I don't mind waiting till after Ninove. Could you give me a price on a set of brackets for the opening end you made :)

Top Work, not checked your thread for ages :oops: windows, a Westy roof, extra children 8) Great work, liking the Conti bed too.

Just

dubscum said:
Phil I plan on doing the same with my westie bed. How are you supporting the other end of the bed to the contour of the bus roof ? I was thinking a piece of 4 by 2 length of wood and rout it out to fit snug on the bend of the roof, then leaving a level flat surface to screw the ply too.

Plus I know your a very busy man and I don't mind waiting till after Ninove. Could you give me a price on a set of brackets for the opening end you made :)

Hey Ash, In the picture of the bed supports there are two hinges I made,they bolt to the roof (you can just see one of them in a pic fixed)
When the bed base is bolted on the base is a few mill above roof.The centre of the hinge pivot is 50mm back from the end of base.I then cut an arc the same as the roof contour max 50mm in middle of base,so when lifted it misses roof.I left the foam full length,it just folds up when base is lifted.Sorry its a bit long winded hope its clear.

When you get your base fixed let me have some measurements (just in case they are different)and I`ll sort them for you.

Phil

creationblue said:
Top Work, not checked your thread for ages :oops: windows, a Westy roof, extra children 8) Great work, liking the Conti bed too.

Just

Thanks Just I have been busy :D

Got my canvas now from v w heritage seems ok so far.
Read a few things on here on how to fit and made a start.
First thing was to mark the centre`s on both canvas and van roof.
canvas006.jpg

canvas001.jpg

I then fixed middle front and middle back.I then went on to fix the sides starting from the centre marks and working towards the corners

canvas007-1.jpg

canvas009.jpg

This is as far as I have got and I`m very pleased with progress and quality of canvas.
*As you can see I`ve not got the ally strips for across the top and bottom so using some nylon strip at the moment,If anybody has any to sell let me Know.*

Finished going around the bottom edge of canvas and fully screwed it down.
Measured and marked centers of top sides of canvas and roof. started at front and stapled center up then sides and finally back.
canvas1089.jpg

canvas1090.jpg

I then pulled canvas up as tight as I could and went around stapling.Pulled up the back disconnected one stay at a time and pulled up canvas.
canvas1087.jpg

canvas1088.jpg

Carried on stapling every 50 mm ish.

canvas1092.jpg

canvas1094.jpg

Having done it now this way the only thing I would do different would be to start at the back and work to the front as I have a small pleat on each corner.This maybe due to the way I`ve fixed the strips If your doing a proper westy it may be ok.

canvas1095.jpg

canvas1096.jpg

canvas1098.jpg

I`m well chuffed on how its turned out to say its all been a bit of make do and mend sort of job.

canvas1099.jpg

Amazing :shock: what a great job! So impressive considering you had never done it before....now you are reAdy to go camping with the family in style :D
Congratulations andthanks for sharing

Latest posts