The panel/bus/westy van story so far ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the positive remarks. :D
Decided to make my own under dash shelf having not liked some on offer and the price of others.
Started with a brush shaft !.Put it on the miller and ended up with this.
parcelshelf001.jpg

I then made two cardboard tenplates of the shelf.
parcelshelf003.jpg

I then cut these out of 10mm ply,and screwed and glued the shafts on.
parcelshelf005.jpg

parcelshelf006.jpg

parcelshelf007.jpg

I then cut some blue vinyl to suit and glued this to the rolled edge.
parcelshelf009.jpg

I then took some cream vinyl and cut and glued it to the top side`s.
parcelshelf010.jpg

parcelshelf012.jpg

All I have to do now is let the glue dry and fit them.Very pleased with them so far.The colours will match the rest of the interior. :D

Aw buddy that looks awesome!

I think it is brilliant when people like you can just 'make' stuff. I have some old egg cartons and cereal boxes around here if you fancy making me an engine :lol:

Great job!

Can I steal the steering column paint idea? ;) :shadey: Looks super good. Is that just painted using masking tape to get the squares, then lacquered to protect? 8)

Thanks a lot guy`s.I see your going to Ninove Ash is all the family going with you ?.Don`t forget the camera and let us know how you get on. :mrgreen:
Cunning plan,
its sticky backed checker on the column.Got it from the US ages ago,think you can get it on e-bay. :D

bluebay said:
Cunning plan,
its sticky backed checker on the column.Got it from the US ages ago,think you can get it on e-bay. :D

Cheers I will look out for it 8)

Went for a cruise round today,first one of the year just for the fun of it. :D :D .Here`s a couple of shots for ya.
van2011008.jpg

van2011007.jpg

Well having got the van just how we wanted for the three of us,things have changed.We shall be four by the end of the year as we are expecting our second child. :D .
So after a lot of thought I put an add out for some glass for a panel van conversion.Southernkombies got in touch and the deal was done for some glass.Next on the list was some new rubber seals,with all parts here it was time to get the grinder out !!.I`ll let the pics tell the rest,as you can imagine the first cut was a nervouse one....
Glass in the back of van.
vanwindows001.jpg

Door marked out ready for cutting.
vanwindows002.jpg

Door cut out.
vanwindows006.jpg

Rear panel coming out.
vanwindows015.jpg

Did the same to the other side and cleaned all edges and painted all bare metal.Then it was a mater of fitting window rubbers which was pretty straight forward.Also put a smear of silicolne on.Fitted all the glass which was straight forward too_Once glas was in all was left was the rubber bead which I bought a tool to fit it with this too went without any problems. :D
Here is the van with windows.
vanwindows2003.jpg

vanwindows2001.jpg

Next was to trim the inside which is where I`m at now.Also made new rear seat belt mount
vanwindows2010.jpg

Will post more as I get it done. :D

Congrats on the future new addition :D

Looks like you have done a great job on putting the windows in (though I know a few here will be upset that you did that to a panel van - but it is yours to do what you want I say) - hope you didn't use the Silicone on the metal as can speed up the process of rust I'm afraid.. ;)

More pictures please :mrgreen:

Thanks gninnam.
It was hard dicsion to make as all my vans have been panel`s But its no fun for the rear pasengers not being able to see anything.
Like you say you do what you want with your own ride.Its what makes them all so interesting and individual.

Hi, Mr Phillip,
Looking good mate, really think you are going to be needed here soon,
kevs has lots to do, getting it running would be a great start, hahah,
should be fun when its done, take care off your lot, catch you soon,
XXX

I'm doing the same to my PVan - it was already part windowed with some small square acrylic ones.

how are you going to trim around the inside of the sliding door - I'm still to do it and wondered if anyone had a good idea how to make it look tidy, I've just rolled the sharp edges of the inner door skin over at the moment to stop cutting myself

Hi Chenzo,
I`ve put some rubber trim around it from a T4 front door ,will take a picy and let you see it.I`m not sure about it yet,it looks tidy though.

how about filling the gap between the inner and outer skins? or have i just not cut enough away?

i'm thinking (from the sofa) that there is a gap that stuff could fall down??

hi mate, van looks awsome! Dont supose i can be cheeky and ask what you did with the sections you cut out of the back with the vents in?

Latest posts