Thinking of upgrading to 1776 ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vw_mad

Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading my engine to a 1776
Was hoping to keep all the bits from my 1600 and just getting a crankcase , head etc . And then putting all the bits I had from my 1600 on it. Would this all be ok and would it work out to be the cheapest way??
If not what other way would be best on a cheap buget .

I'd keep your current case if it's good and get performance internals tbh.

If your not interested in going much bigger than 17XX then I wouldn't use over sized B&P's. I'd use a longer crank with matching rods and pistons. You won't need to machine the cases at all if you don't go mad with the throw on the crank and use the right rods. I've lost all the info from when I researched my engine but I think you can get a 74mm crank to fit without machining. I think it's skat rods you want. This will give a torquey engine as to revvy. Ideal in a bus. I wish I had gone down this route instead of the 1835. Don't get me wrong my engine is great but I could of saved myself a shed load of money on the machining

doz said:
If your not interested in going much bigger than 17XX then I wouldn't use over sized B&P's. I'd use a longer crank with matching rods and pistons. You won't need to machine the cases at all if you don't go mad with the throw on the crank and use the right rods. I've lost all the info from when I researched my engine but I think you can get a 74mm crank to fit without machining. I think it's skat rods you want. This will give a torquey engine as to revvy. Ideal in a bus. I wish I had gone down this route instead of the 1835. Don't get me wrong my engine is great but I could of saved myself a shed load of money on the machining

For my 2110 I've got an 82mm Chevy journal crank, H-beam rods and still had to have it clearanced quite a bit. Looking back I wish I had got an Auto Linea raised roof case instead of an AS41. It all fits, just cost more. Oh well....

Whatever you decide, spend as much as you can afford on crank and rods/pistons. The heads, carbs, exhaust ect can all be upgraded when funds allow, but you dont wanna be splitting the case again!

Just

Thanks for all the advice.
I think I am going to get my engine on a rolling road etc and find out if there is any reason there is not much torque etc as may save a massive amount of money. And will decide what to do after that.
As at the moment I don't seam to have much power/torque etc.
Thanks again.

vw_mad said:
Thanks for all the advice.
I think I am going to get my engine on a rolling road etc and find out if there is any reason there is not much torque etc as may save a massive amount of money. And will decide what to do after that.
As at the moment I don't seam to have much power/torque etc.
Thanks again.
Maybe worth checking the basics first? valve clearances, Timing, tuning, compression etc far cheaper than getting it rolling roaded.

Could there be any thing else that could cause the torque of the engine to be so low. As over taking going up hills etc are really bad. Compared to other vans.

vw_mad said:
Could there be any thing else that could cause the torque of the engine to be so low. As over taking going up hills etc are really bad. Compared to other vans.

Its a 1600 engine pushing a heavy old bus!

As said before, spend the money on the right internals first then upgrade exhaust and carbs etc when funds alow.

I am not sure of what is inside the engine. It has full electronic ignition and twin 40 webbers.
Is there any way of knowing what's inside without taking it apart??
I was told it has polished heads or something like that, but not sure what that means.

if its slow as fuck up hills is probably a 1600. i can pull up a hill from 25mph in fourth now. same hill with my 1600 was changing down to second time

Yes when I hit a hill at around 55 will drop down to around 30 having to drop to third or second in some cases.
Would you say this is right then for a 1600.
As have spoken to guys with a 1600 single port with standard carb and there can are loaded roughly the same but have more power??
What have you changed to now them for the extra power?

depends on the hill i guess and how healthy the engine is. i know mine was a down right chore when i loaded it up for an autojumble. at one point i thought i wouldn't make it up one hill ha ha

Only had the van under 2 years
When I got it.
There was twin 45s fitted and was very bad until it hit 50 then went like a rockets hill where I night mare 1st gear .
So got them changed to webber 40s
And got it tuned but still not as good as was hoping.
I know they will not be like rockets but still think something not quite right.
That's why I thing of getting it checked on a rolling road setup.
Should they be able to tell me if any thing is wrong
Ie , low compression or something like that as I cannot see what else could be wrong.

My standard 1600sp flew with the original carb, so sounds like something is amiss with yours dude. My money is on the carbs, if you can't balance/set them up yourself then take it somewhere, that said check the compression b4 u do anything else, that will tell u if the engine is in order.

Yes that's what I going to do as carbs have be set and tuned etc so compression would be the next thing to check.

compression would be the first thing to check as without that you will have bugger all power regardless of what you bolt on.

Latest posts