throttle not returning all the way.....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky71

Reaction score
I have started to use the van a lot more recently,trying to reignite the lurve(long story).
Before all my woes the van started fine and still does,after a long drive everything is as should be apart from a very hot dipstick test,been told because engine has only just covered 600 miles from rebuild :roll: :roll: it will run hotter because evrything new :msn4: :msn4: is tight.
Now as stated i have been driving at every opportunity even the short drive to pick up the wife from work (5 mile round trip) but i have noticed the throttle does not return fully when all nice and warm.When cold it is fine but warm is a different matter,the throttle stays open 4 mm from stepped cam.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Totally stock 34 pict 3 carb rebuilt and rebushed 600 miles ago,svda dissy,oil bath airfilter,stock ernst zorst.Timing double checked,valve clearances checked and carb setup as per Bentley manual and have one of Butty's linkage kits fitted with return spring.

If i return the linkage when warm idle is about (guessing) 750 - 850 rpm.

Regards.

Sharky.

Have you tried oiling all the moving parts at both ends and getting a little oil down the cable?

If it still sticks then find where the stiffness is. eg. is it the carb, the cable or the pedal.

It's a very simple mechanism so it shouldn't be hard to find the culprit.

If it only does it when hot then I would start at the carb since the rest won't really warm up much when driving. It could be you have slightly too much tension on the throttle spindle for instance. Sometimes a little vigorous manual action will free it enough with a bit of oil added so it beds in if ths been re bushed. Wiggling can be important ;)

Stupid question but can you return the throttle by hand ? Just wanting to check that the accelerator cable isn't too tight ?

Maybe the spring is tired, you could stick a stronger spring or a extra spring and a spring where the foot mechanism is - as long as the cable is nice and free.

has a new carb return spring and a whacking big spring with Butty's throttle linkage.

Sounds ridiculous, but you haven't overtightened the air filter on the carb have you? On mine, if it's too tight it appears to squeeze the butterfly a little bit and it doesn't return correctly. I end up having to back it off a turn.

Dunno how a jubilee clip over a plastic pipe can affect a metal carb, but it seems to on mine! :mrgreen:

Just a thought, as you said the carb was re-bushed, it is possible that the butterfly on the throttle spindle (bottom one) is slightly misaligned. Take the carb off when hot, turn it upside down and loosen the two screws holding the butterfly and make sure it is not jamming against the side wall and retighten the screws. Just be careful as you will pour most of your float chamber off fuel out doing it.

Latest posts