Timing a 1600 TP with a 34 Pict and an SVDA

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eeza

Reaction score
Gents, I got hold of an SVDA dizzy and blasted an Accuspark kit into it just before Christmas, I set the timing using the static method but have now got a timing light (strobe thingy).

My engine is a not an OE bit of kit and so the pulley is probs not original and has timing marks that look like TDC, another mark 180 degrees from TDC and a cut on the rear face of the pulley marked with white paint that looks about 30 degrees to the LEFT of TDC as you look at the pully (ATDC ????) (This would be right for a 009 Dizzy)

Question is where should the timing be for this Carb / Dizzy combo

Vehicle starts fine but having been out for a blast it needs some adjustment (Feels Flat)

Any Ideas on the following :

Setting the 009 Centrifugal Advance, Single-Vacuum Dual Advance (SVDA) and Vacuum-Only Distributors with a Strobe -

The approximate idle timing setting for the centrifugal advance distributor (009), the single-vacuum distributor, and the vacuum-advance only distributor, is 7.5o Before Top Dead Center (BTDC). This means that as you view the 7.5o mark at the crankcase split (with the strobe), the TDC mark on the pulley will be about 11.5mm to the LEFT of the crankcase split when the distributor is properly timed.

Again, this is the APPROXIMATE timing setting at idle. once thats set go for the 30o setting at 3500rpms ?

If using the 009 non vac distributor set 7.5 static this will get you idling but will run flar as no advance

With help if possible get the revs to 3000rpm and set the 009 to 32 degrees tdc and it will run like a dream ignore what the timing is at idle now.
http://www.vw-resource.com/tune-up.html#timing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have this exact set up & timed mine at 7.5' BTDC at idle with strobe with very good results, when I was running a 009 found it run best at 10' BTDC using this method, never been keen looking at timing marks at 3000 RPM :shock: :lol:

Well on my old genuine pully, the flat on the back of the pulley was TDC, the notch on the face looked like 5 degrees BTDC.

I think you'll need to check where TDC is - in my case (as I fitted an aftermarket pulley that was TOTALLY out) I just used chopstick down the plug hole and rotated the engine back and forth to establish TDC. I did it on No 1 with the engine on the stand before fitting - I guess you could do it on No 3 (if my logic is right) a bit easier with the engine in situ. I found marking the chopsick with a pencil and sticking some tape on the inlet manifold with pencil marks made it easier to see when the chopstick was fully out.

Then I just timed at 7.5 degrees at idle and made sure it was less than 30 at 3000 (vac advance disconnected).

Seemed to be ok for me.

Nick

Latest posts