timing problems..going mad here!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69billy

Reaction score
hia, I have a timing problem..if I set to the manual or what people do on here,i have a van not fully wanting to rev ( I know they don't) but if I move timing anti clockwise a little he runs fab really good pulls through all gears the lot......but he wont turn over to start ( real slow and wont start, like a flat battery)... turn back that little bit it spins like the clappers and starts, but back to the bad running things vibrate a bit that sort of thing...once started I turn anti clock a bit and we're back to good running ..any ideas please.. and its not the starter / bush or the battery..ive owned him 3 years and run like this but now im fed up with this start routine..when set to run good the tickover is fine but it is with the crap timing :? thanks

69billy said:
hia, I have a timing problem..if I set to the manual or what people do on here,i have a van not fully wanting to rev ( I know they don't) but if I move timing anti clockwise a little he runs fab really good pulls through all gears the lot......but he wont turn over to start ( real slow and wont start, like a flat battery)... turn back that little bit it spins like the clappers and starts, but back to the bad running things vibrate a bit that sort of thing...once started I turn anti clock a bit and we're back to good running ..any ideas please.. and its not the starter / bush or the battery..ive owned him 3 years and run like this but now im fed up with this start routine..when set to run good the tickover is fine but it is with the crap timing :? thanks

Is the vacuum not working or the advance weights in the dizzy? Might be worth stripping the dizzy to see

it does move with the strobe when setting up, it has one of the electronic internals replacing points etc..whats a good dizzy replacement? any info is good and i'll replace it..thanks

69billy said:
it does move with the strobe when setting up, it has one of the electronic internals replacing points etc..whats a good dizzy replacement? any info is good and i'll replace it..thanks

Does your timing light do advance degrees? Also which distributor do you have, got a pic of it?

i'll get a pic tomorrow im not sure, I have another ive just found ( points, might be off the wifes beetle though) maybe try that one too if its possible.?

not for a 1000 miles ish but no rattles etc, do you think this could cause a problem?

I don't know now :-/... I found the info on here and used that 7 before rings a bell. but im not sure.

First check that the timing mark you are using is correct. Find/establish TDC by inserting a pencil down the spark plug hole.

Once your sure the timing mark is right, you can check the timing with a strobe.

With the vac hose off it should be at 7.5 BTDC at tickover and at around 3500 rpm it should go to about 28 BTDC.

With the vac hose connected at 3500 rpm it will go to 32 to 34 BTDC.

If it doesent advance with the hose off then the weights are sticking. If it doesent do the extra advance when the hose is connected then either the vac canister is faulty/leaking or the points base plate is seized and is not rotating when the vac canister is pulling on it.

Trikky2 said:
First check that the timing mark you are using is correct. Find/establish TDC by inserting a pencil down the spark plug hole.

Once your sure the timing mark is right, you can check the timing with a strobe.

With the vac hose off it should be at 7.5 BTDC at tickover and at around 3500 rpm it should go to about 28 BTDC.

With the vac hose connected at 3500 rpm it will go to 32 to 34 BTDC.

If it doesent advance with the hose off then the weights are sticking. If it doesent do the extra advance when the hose is connected then either the vac canister is faulty/leaking or the points base plate is seized and is not rotating when the vac canister is pulling on it.

That's a much better way of putting it!

sorted thanks all. turned out to be the weights in the bottom very sticky,cleaned up runs a treat and STARTS :D to dark to time in, but even then he runs fab

69billy said:
sorted thanks all. turned out to be the weights in the bottom very sticky,cleaned up runs a treat and STARTS :D to dark to time in, but even then he runs fab

Nice one, if you take the rotor arm off there is a felt pad in the shaft, just put a few drops of engine oil down there when changing the points and it will keep the weights lubricated :D

Latest posts