Tinware...missing a bit?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdeano

Reaction score
2u5aga2u.jpg
e9ybu3uj.jpg

Looks like i might be missing a piece, the left hand side doesn't look too clever either anyone advise to parts missing and part numbers etc cheers

Yes you are missing a small square piece of tin to make it the same length as the other side. Its removable on that side so that you can get access to the thermostat for adjustment, renewal etc. However, you don't have a thermostat fitted on yours, it would be in a bracket attached to the stud on the block, which means that you are unlikely to have your cooling flaps fitted also.

These parts are referred to as "lower sled tin" and are available as repro items from the major suppliers, although many report that fitment is a bit hit and miss. I have no experience myself. There was a guy called "thegatekeeper" on here who was selling a load of original tinware from a vast stock he came across. Maybe you could try him?

Thanx for the reply, new to the aircooled scene but learning more every day, seen somewhere that the thermostat is not that important?, and the engine can run without it quite well, ive had problems in the past with the bus cutting out when hot, i know that i need a piece now for the right hand side, but will fitting a thermostat help?, cheers

As Zcat7 says some of the repro tin is poor quality - I've seen it described as been like 'Kit-Kat' wrappers and some I've bought has been about as strong never mind the poor fit.

Going either vw fest or skegvegas next weekend so will look for the part there, if i cant pick it up there i'll chance my luck with a repo part

Deano, all the parts of the cooling system are important. In California where the temps are moderate most of the time then they may get away without the thermostat as the engine will warm rapidly. Over here you need it to allow the engine to warm rapidly and reduce wear in our cooler climate.
Also check you have the under cylinder deflector tins in place as well, the force the cooling air around the underside of the cylinders. Without them you are about 50% efficient. Look for second hand OG tin where possible.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Latest posts