To POP or not to POP - Your opinions please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davydomes

Reaction score
Hi, introduced myself yesterday as a NEWBY. We have a part restored 69 Kombi - that was a Devon but had the roof replaced as a Tin Top as part of resto by previous owner. Now torn about re-fitting the old Pop Top (as we like the idea of being able to stand up and possibly add a bunk (or two)) and leaving as a Tin Top because we prefer that look.

My questions to the EB bretheren are:

1) Do you Devon Types out there have problems with leaking tops?
2) Do you think having a pop adds to your camping comfort significantly?
3) Would it be sacrilege to re-fit the Pop to a now Tin Top?

Brutally honest opinions most welcome.

1) Do you Devon Types out there have problems with leaking tops?
- None what so ever. But I have heard horror stories. Mine is capped.

2) Do you think having a pop adds to your camping comfort significantly?
- Absolutely, we always raise the roof if we are parked up overnight. Only very strong winds force us to drop it.

3) Would it be sacrilege to re-fit the Pop to a now Tin Top?
- Was it sacrilege to fit the original Devon top, or to rid the bus of that and restore the tin top look? I am guessing not.

A 4th question could be aimed at the tin top owners, something about bending your back all the time. I am guessing this is not a problems for most folk, in the same way that leaking isn't a problem for most Devon owners. But you have to 'test' both scenarios, not just one of them.

My advice is to go with what you feel is right for you. Your van...your choices. :D

Had both and in an ideal world id have a poptop again.
But love the van i have to much to convert it.
IMO tintops look better but a bit of a pain when camping.
Painfull to be beautifull :mrgreen:

Rich

I converted my (thoroughly rotten) poptop to a tintop, and havn't looked back.

If you want to stand up, get an awning :D

But seriously, if you want a poptop, go and buy one. I spent ages looking for a (RHD) tintop before buying my bus, they're not that common.

we spent ages looking for a pop top, but could not find one that was right so went for an empty (had some very old tatty danbury seats in) tin top, built our own interior and have camped in her loads as far as standing up goes i would think the taller you are the more of a pain it is we are both only 5'7" so not to bad, and with freinds who are poppers they all leak at some point some where during a trip so on the whole for me one last thing to worry about and she keeps her "tidy" looks (the bus not the wife although she scrubs up well enough :) )

Hi - that's the big decision really, pop tops are so much more practice than tintops with standing room (especially if you have an inbuilt cooker), storage,sleeping etc

But tintops look so much better IMO - it's down to a choice of practicality vs asthetics... Depends what use you'll be getting - more day trips out or camping with an awning and the cost/effort of converting may not be worth the investment?

I think tin tops look much better. But when camping, the westy roof is really good. For me it's not just the extra headroom and storage space. It's the better ventilation. When it's hot, the westy roof comes into its own, creating a much better environment to sleep in. I also put it up if we are at the beach, so when we get back the bus isn't like an oven. This stops the kids from kicking off!
So in my opinion you need two buses. A pop-top for family camping and a tin top for cruising. I'm saving for the tin top :lol:

Hi there, welcome to the Early Bay site as well, ask questions and join in and enjoy the place, they are a really great bunch on here. As far as the pop top thing goes, it may be worry delaying your decisions until you've lived with it a while and maybe visit a few events and see what's available. I love the look of a tin top especially with little roof racks. I also love the practicality of the pop top. Forget the cooking and stuff, but when you've woken up in the wee wee hours of the morning, nudge nudge, and you stand up quickly to pee in a bottle and your still half pissed, you'll be glad you got your pop top up plus you won't have banged your head on the roof . A lot of pop tops look rather bulky and a lot of them have inherent design flaws hence the leaks. The one I chose in the end is the wrong one from the purists point of you, but possibly the sleekest and unobtrusive and user friendly is the later Devon roof from seventy six seventy seven and onwards.. But check out some in the magazines and have a look at the readers rides over on the latebay site and you'll see where I is coming from.

Ozziedog,,,,, your bus though,,, your rules.

I have a Tin Top and im 6 foot 4 inches tall and I also keep thinking about having a pop top but just love the look of the Tin Top . I have learnt to live without the extra headroom but have to do some interesting moves when getting dressed !! :lol:
......You have some good advice from the folks on here whatever your choice enjoy your van

I've a tintop and I love it, it's not always practical for camping but I have a small awning if I'm camping for longer than a weekend. If you want a poptop sell your tintop rather than cut the roof :)

Tin-tops in an ideal world are the tits BUT in the real world I couldn't be without my Westy roof. So much room and really homely I think.

I have a pop top and i love it. thats another reason why i bought it. :D

If your going to do it i would say get a westy there well cool 8)

Keep the tin top for cool looks, get an awning for shenanigans and sell me your unwanted pop top! :msn4:

(seriously - cash waiting if it's in reasonable shape! Inbox me!)

I've had both in the past, a 66 split tin top and a 76 bay popup...

The popup did what it was supposed to perfectly regarding camping/headroom etc but other than a Westy roof i think they all look undesirable..

The split looked cool, had camping interior and really wasn't a problem as you only sleep or sit down in the bus..

This time around ive gone for best of both!! 69 Deluxe with a factory sunroof, tin top looks but when i get somewhere i can open the roof and stand up - awesome :)

personally id never cut a roof to fit a pop top, but that me, if you do then like the other chap said go for a Westy roof, they look much better than any others out there and resale wont be too effected, id imagine an early bay with a late poptop would look odd and possibly devalue the bus unless a future buyer isn't bothered or doesn't know the difference.

I have (and would only ever want) a Dormobile pop top. IMO they are by far the best....They have Vents...they have windows...they have loads of room....they are cool!
Who wants to have to put up an awning just to be able to stand up!! lol (and most of the places I camp you could not use an awning!) Much better to be totally self contained in my view.
I have one from a Split Screen van fitted to my 71.

Latest posts