to seal 0r not to seal?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bus72

Reaction score
having removed the petrol tank from the bay i want to know if anyone on here has used a tank sealer such as
slosh, creme, por15,red kite or any other brands on their tanks did you have any problems? iam aware that ethenol in petrol can cause certain sealers to peel away from tank surfaces it would appear from what i have read that ethenol percentages are going to increase to 10% or maybe more if this is the case the effect on these tank coatings could be a real issue in the near future. so i would be interested to hear from anyone who has an opinion on this

55 views and no opinions, :) go on somebody tell me what you think

I havn't matey. My tank didn't leak so I didn't fix was wasn't broken. Like you say,you don't want anything coming loose and clogging the fuel lines.

IMO, if it's not rusted through or leaking- leave it.

thanks for reply, the tank has some rusty crud in it so iam going to clean it out with a caustic dilution the thing is you have to wash the solution out with water and then dry the tank out, the plan then was to seal the tank to prevent any future rusty
deposits getting into the fuel lines. i always have a filter in the line anyway but hoped sealing the tank would be a job worth
doing but iam now unsure what to do for the best

For what its worth if it were me I would slosh some nuts and bolts or fish tank gravel in there and shake the thing around for a while with some degreaser to loosen up the rust, rinse and drain it well then drop an anti rust / convertor (Jenolite IIRC ?).

Then once thats done its stuff bang in the sealer and your good to go for another 40 years

Simples... :D

Doris said:
I havn't matey. My tank didn't leak so I didn't fix was wasn't broken. Like you say,you don't want anything coming loose and clogging the fuel lines.

IMO, if it's not rusted through or leaking- leave it.
Agree :D

Eeza said:
For what its worth if it were me I would slosh some nuts and bolts or fish tank gravel in there and shake the thing around for a while with some degreaser to loosen up the rust, rinse and drain it well then drop an anti rust / convertor (Jenolite IIRC ?).

Then once thats done its stuff bang in the sealer and your good to go for another 40 years

Simples... :D

i have a caustic solution to rinse out the tank and i also have a tank sealer to put in after i have cleaned it out but iam getting mixed views on tank sealers so iam kinda stuck on the fence :?

Latest posts