To take the steering wheel off ... first you need to ...?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambacorners

Reaction score
Most posts seem to suggest that with maybe a puller and a bit of luck/ingenuity you can pull the steering wheel off after removing the horn push and the central nut. Haynes says the cancelling ring and indicator stalk have to be removed as well. Can anyone confirm either way? Mine's a 72.
Thanks

Gambacorners said:
Most posts seem to suggest that with maybe a puller and a bit of luck/ingenuity you can pull the steering wheel off after removing the horn push and the central nut. Haynes says the cancelling ring and indicator stalk have to be removed as well. Can anyone confirm either way? Mine's a 72.
Thanks

I removed my indicator stalk when I removed my wheel (taped it to the column) just so I didnt break it, I dont think you have to remove it though.

Be careful using a puller as you are likely to damage the wheel, if you are lucky a combination of penetrant spray, rubber mallet/knees under wheel (with blocks under feet to help) may remove it, I gather hot water on the splines can also help.
Whatever method you use dont completely remove the nut - just loosen it otherwise you may get a surprise when the wheel pops off ;)

neither of my bus wheels gave me any probs apart from getting the 74 wheel in the chest ( leave the nut on), a rubber or beech mallet a piece of wood under and spanning the rim and gently tap around the entire rim and centre 2 mins and jobs a gud un just take care as it doesnt take a lot to wreck the plastic. I left everything in place though would agree if you unclamp the stalk it would make life a little easier.

Cheers guys, the message I'm hearing is that it's desirable but not essential to remove those other parts, which is the bit I was unclear about.
Thanks again :)

Hiya gamba,

Just a piece of advice from a guy who has had at it with quite a few BayWindow steering wheels..............

Remove everything that you can under the steering wheel if you plan on using some sort of blunt force to remove the wheel. Having the turnsignal switch out of the way makes it less likely that you'll do it any damage. And be especially careful with any sort of pulling device. The plastic around the hub of steering wheel is guaranteed to crack if you put any sort of pressure on it with a puller.

I have read many comments such as Araon's about getting the wheel off by using one's knees or tapping round the wheel, etc. Even a few about using hot water. But I have to tell you that in all my years around Busses I have never come across a BayWindow steering wheel that would come off in such a manner. All of them needed pullers. Perhaps that is just my luck. But I have taken to drilling and tapping the hubs of steering wheels for easy removal by puller that cannot do any damage to the steering wheel's plastic surround.

there is a guy on thesamba that makes a steering wheel puller for split buses and i use it on bays and it pops them right off.i take the horn button off , then the nut holding the steering wheel on and i also lower the turnsignal switch out of the way

Latest posts