Torn between my 72 and 68

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14475

Reaction score
It's that time of year when I start building lists of jobs that I want to do on my bus over the winter.

It's fair to say that this summer has been a bit of a washout and my 72 Westy, upon which I invested my savings (ie redundancy money) has little that needs doing and I'm getting itchy feet.

I'm tempted to sell her and Instead keep a 68 Westy that I was intending to sell to pay for maintenance on my bus

Has anyone else experienced these "finished bus blues"?

Cheers

Matt

No, when they're finished I drive them until they drop to pieces while spending my spare cash on drugs. Any other spare cash I fritter away. :mrgreen:

see your dilemma - as when i lose interest in a vehicle it generally doesn't take long before it gets replaced, can't explain it but if I no longer feel the love it goes (I've been through 5 cars and 5 bikes in 5 years) - it's a flaw in my character, but then, my hobby/interests are in vehicles and (as I explain to my wife) I could have a hobby of say....compulsive gambling, or lap dancing clubs or robbing post offices e.t.c. :D

can you swap as much shiny stuff from the 72 over to the 68 and then sell it to fund resto? end of the day I would pick a 68 over a 72 for stylistic reasons ( imo ) so that's the one I'd concentrate on

I should add that I've had my bus for 24 months and still in love, previous record was 9 years with a triumph gt6 but that never made it on the road so doesn't count ;)

Not suffered it with a bus but have done on a few non VW restorations. Finish it, drive it, dont like it or get bored, sell it, start something different :lol:

ZedBed said:
No, when they're finished I drive them until they drop to pieces while spending my spare cash on drugs. Any other spare cash I fritter away. :mrgreen:

I think that's why the unrestored 68 Westy is appealing to me Zed. I'm far too anal with the 72, worrying about it getting scratched or not being shiny enough.

I just had to remind myself that the reason I bought a bus in the first place was to enjoy, not as a museum piece!

:oops:

Birdman said:
ZedBed said:

I think that's why the unrestored 68 Westy is appealing to me Zed. I'm far too anal with the 72, worrying about it getting scratched or not being shiny enough.

I just had to remind myself that the reason I bought a bus in the first place was to enjoy, not as a museum piece!

I know how you feel.I made the big mistake of restoring an E Type to concours some years back. Ended up selling it within a couple of months of finishing becaus it was too risky to park it anywhere and it was undriveable. Newly tarred roads were a U turn and a puddle was three hours of cleaningl. Never again.

I have to admit that even with the bus I dont get quite the same enjoyment now its worth a lot compared to a few years back when it was worth less than the tyres it sat on :lol:

My uncle inherited a pre-war Aston Martin from a muesum where a distant Aunt lent them the car 50 odd years ago - got it back and had to spend £20K on an air conditioned garage :shock: - now that's something I'd hate, a car too valuable to drive on the road and can't sell as it's a family heirloom :D

Birdman said:
ZedBed said:

I came from a similar angle. I was sick to the back teeth with restoring buses day in day out so I decided best to get one that restoring would spoil - then I wouldn't have to. 8) But I'd still be cross if someone keyed it - proper scratches are always perfectly horizontal as you brush past something or shopping trolleys down the side. :lol:

Latest posts