Tough low profile tyres?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the ones I have are these Zed

http://www.clickontyres.com/Federal/175_65_R14__FEDERAL_SS657_XL__86T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

happy to sell them £40 for the pair - 500 miles max use....

I bought these.

TRIANGLE TR928 175/70 R14 95/93S 6PR

They appear to be correctly load rated but they're not that low profile. I don't have them mounted yet so I can't comment on how they perform, but hopefully I'll be able to provide some feedback in the next few months. I have pictures of them if anyone is interested...

dubdubz said:

http://www.clickontyres.com/Federal/175_65_R14__FEDERAL_SS657_XL__86T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Dubdubz, good price, but I want the full 90. I have 82 (or 84?) so yours are only halfway there. I'd have 100's if I could get them - I'm on a mission.;)

LEEP said:
I bought these.

They appear to be correctly load rated but they're not that low profile. I don't have them mounted yet so I can't comment on how they perform, but hopefully I'll be able to provide some feedback in the next few months. I have pictures of them if anyone is interested...
Hi Leep - I don't see a load rating, or is the 95/93 something to do with that?

ZedBed said:
LEEP said:
I bought these.

Hi Leep - I don't see a load rating, or is the 95/93 something to do with that?

Yeah I guess that does look like a bunch of gibberish! :lol:

The 6PR means they're six ply rated and load range C. The 95/93 is the load ratings, the 95 being 1520 lbs max in a single tire configuration at 50 psi inflation pressure. These tires are LT or Light Truck tires which is why there are two load ratings. The second load rating is for when the tires are used in a dual tire configuration- i.e. four tires per axle. I learned all about the dual pressure rating stuff HERE.

Here's the pics of the tires:

2d3a7046.jpg

fa058733.jpg

9d4a72d9.jpg

5c944a76.jpg

ZedBed said:
dubdubz said:

Thanks Dubdubz, good price, but I want the full 90. I have 82 (or 84?) so yours are only halfway there. I'd have 100's if I could get them - I'm on a mission.;)

no probs - the xl is noticeable - I'll pop them in mart - just didn't want you to say - "you could have told me..."

ps you still doing repairs?

dubdubz said:
ZedBed said:
dubdubz said:

no probs - the xl is noticeable - I'll pop them in mart - just didn't want you to say - "you could have told me..."

ps you still doing repairs?
No - given up, nobody really wants to pay for a thorough job and I can't bodge them up.

Update:

I went for these Dunlop 90 rated light comercial tyres. Just on the front, the rears seem ok for now
http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/dunlop/sp-lt30/175/65/R14/T/90/f?returnurl=%2forder%2ftyres%3fversion%3d2.0%26width%3d175%26profile%3d65%26rim%3d14%26speed%3dAny%26minpricerange%3d0%26maxpricerange%3d0%26loadratings%3d90%26displayall%3d6&tyre=11124013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The difference is night and day. I cannot over emphasise what a difference these tyres have made to both straight line and cornering. I can let go the steering wheel driving at 60 on the eneven fen roads. I can corner fast and accurately and safely, it steers where I want it's fantastic and just as it should be. 8)

It's probably still blow about in the wind though - not had a chance to see, but it's got to be better than it was.

Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions.

Just to tag onto this thread a little, I`m now getting horrible tyre wear on my front boots. I got T Haus front spindles and coil over shocks on the front and adjustable plates on the back. Just got my bus mot`d and Nick (brill meknik) told me my front boots were chewing their inners :shock: They had covered less than 1000 miles possibly only 500 from brand new and were on the steel in places :shock: So he wacked his sight guages on to quickly assess the front alignment and we were surprised to find it spot on even , even though we`d set it at 5 min toe in less than 1000miles ago. So during the course of the mot works he chucked on an extra 5 mins. The only thing we didn`t do was re check the camber and the eccentric nuts as I couldn`t see them moving :? . So we plonked a set of steelies on in 14" with a good set of tread on and wandered off to the Plymfest fully loaded with me and my (large) brother in law in the front. Next weekend we did the Bristol fest so nice and local for me, while we were there we checked the tyres and we could really feel the chew from the inner edge still :evil: So our next plan of attack after lots of head scratching :? We are thinking that every time I take it in for wheel wear / adjustment etc, the van is completely stripped out because I`m always working on it or in the middle of something. So as a long shot, we are gonna try the wheel alignment and camber with two very large buckets in behind the seats filled with water, a bit bigger than the old rubbish bin size and see if that makes a huge difference. Not convinced at the moment as any empty panel van would be chewing up tyres like mine but it might be interesting if we glean anything. Now Nick assures me, and most people tend to agree that stockers don`t eat tyres much at all, especially with the amount of mileages that most of us do. Now is anyone else eating tyres ?? or is it just me ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Thought I was there too :lol: :roll: :lol:

I have identical suspension, apart from the shocks, did 500 miles on the tyres I just replaced and no wear at all. Your front wheels should toe in BTW. I think you maybe have wear in your steering that lets them toe out when you're driving, so your buckets of water may show something up.

That was my point exactly. When I set the alignment, I had it at 5 mins toe in. When I re checked, they were straight and spot on straight so we added another 5 mins toe in but we still had mahoosive wear :shock: But I can`t recall anything being in the bus when we did these things apart from the front seats. that`s why I`m sortof hoping with some weight in there it may show something up. Was also wondering if anyone else had had this problem.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Spose there may be a loaded spec for checking :? :mrgreen:

Bentley says 40' for castor, and 15' for toe, it mentions adding weight over the wheel and then setting a 5 + - 15' ?

toe shouldnt exceed 25'

It does also mention distances, the rear rim should be 0.0 - 3.3mm which doesn't seem enough? Although the context is a track gauge being used...the drive over ones?

not to steal the thread at all but just a story about load rating, i had a blowout last month running 205/40 17 on a modern van, the whole edge of the tyre was bubbled, not load rated! and last year on the delux was running 185/35 /17 and the rear had a 180degree egg on the inside edge again not load rated, cant comment on the 15s as they are fine on ours but just a bit of info, nearly lost two vans in a year and or my life!!

cheers jth

dubdubz said:
Bentley says 40' for castor, and 15' for toe, it mentions adding weight over the wheel and then setting a 5 + - 15' ?

toe shouldnt exceed 25'

It does also mention distances, the rear rim should be 0.0 - 3.3mm which doesn't seem enough? Although the context is a track gauge being used...the drive over ones?
OOps - got that wrong again... or maybe not?

I did the calculation once (actually I modelled it on CAD and measured the model) and found 3.3 mm works out that the degree setting is for each wheel - i.e. you need to double it. Or maybe I misunderstood, or perhaps Bently is wrong - whatever, the degree setting and the mm don't agree that's for sure.

ZedBed said:
dubdubz said:

toe shouldnt exceed 25'

OOps - got that wrong again... or maybe not?

I did the calculation once (actually I modelled it on CAD and measured the model) and found 3.3 mm works out that the degree setting is for each wheel - i.e. you need to double it. Or maybe I misunderstood, or perhaps Bently is wrong - whatever, the degree setting and the mm don't agree that's for sure.

Yes thats what I thought Zed - perhaps it is 3.3 from the centre - actually it is - they metion a track gauge - this would measure EACH wheel so so the overall diff would be about 7-8mm - call it 10mm for ease!!

makes me think what I set mine too now??

D

I thought it was the other way round and the 3.3mm was correct, but that gave half the degree settings stated in the book. Now I'm confused. I'll draw it out again as my memory is a bit hazy...

tracking.jpg

This is to scale, drawn on autocad and auto-dimensioned. Make of it what you will, but it's correctly drawn. The two lines represent the inner faces of 14" rims. I drew them with one end touching to demonstrate the other ends (rear of your rims) are 3.3mm apart. 0.5mm is 30'. It's too late to think :lol:

I always set mine tbang on 30' on a proper set of tracking guages and I've never had a problem with tyre wear, it doesn't tram-line and I can let go of the steering wheel on the bumpy fen roads at 60mph (as I'm fond of saying ;) ).

I hope this is some help to someone. :)

PS I drove it this evening in a fair cross-wind with hedges and gaps windward side (traditionally the worst scenario for blowing about for me) and it was spot on. I'm very pleased to have finally cracked this, but still need to test in a higher wind to be perfectly happy. I'm now ready for the big engine I have on order - would have been a waste of time in a wobbly blowy-about bus I thought, so been giving this some effort over the weeks.

Latest posts