Towing a camping trailer?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julesx

Reaction score
Quick newbie towing question!

I am considering purchasing a small camping trailer to supplement the carrying capacity (or maybe I should not take so much stuff on holiday!) of my bus.

A quick scoot around various site and forums and I guess that a small wooden 4 x 3 x 2 foot jobby, or similar size, would do.

Do these small trailers tow OK or do they bounce around furiously at the back like a crazy thing?

Any recommendations of the best kind to buy.

Thanks

We had a trailer for a few years before buying an Eriba Puck.

The trailer pulled lovely and once it was full of camping gear it settled down and was good as gold. Had no impact on the performance of the bus.

The one problem I find was that it was narrower than the bus and I couldn't see it whilst reversing. By the time I could see it in my mirrors it was too late to correct its waywardness!

I was in the throws of finding some side markers that would stick out to give an indication of where it was.

Hope this helps, it was a great thing to have and freed up space in the bus for travelling.

I used to tow a vespa on trailer behind my t25, and a teardrop with a modern 1.2 fiat 500!

Common sense applied and you'll be fine

Magic rules

Main weight over axle
Don't put too much weight near the back
Don't overload the front (nose weight) (Assuming the bay has a nose weight limit?)

Otherwise you should be fine.

We use this,
1361790.jpg

we got it mainly as a way to take 4 bikes with us. Its an awesome addition, we use the tailgate as a cooking platform have an electric hook up in it too so we can power a fridge and leave the trailer on the campsite when we want to drive around. Added bonus too that you can open it with the bikes still attached.
Driving with the trailer you don't even notice it, but as said before reversing etc with such a small trailer is difficult, sometimes its easier just to unhook it and push the thing in place.

I had mine about a year and never really used it

That Westy trailer is the one! Too much £££'s for me tho!

Who - I saw yours for sale but was too slow and someone else beat me to it.

Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts