Trickle charging

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt84

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've finally got my bus back home now my garage is finished, I'm looking for a trickle charger for the battery but I also have a 110ah leisure battery wired in with a split load charging setup.

Will the trickle charger safely charge both? Was just worried about the difference in the battery capacities.

I also need some recommendations on trickle chargers, do I go for an 'intelligent' one?

Thanks,

Matt

Im not sure a trickle charger will put out enough voltage to flick the relay into charging both at the same time? I might be wrong, but you may have to just switch the charger over routinely. I've got a trickle charger from Aldi, cost about £11 a few years ago and it still works spot on to this day. It is basic, and doesn't offer all the functions of a Ctek, but as long as your battery isn't flat, it'll just keep it topped up.

I lashed out on a Ctek which has been working fine for the last 2 years, charging both the main and a 110ah leisure.

They're on offer at a good price from Amazon from time to time.

Just a quickie if your leisure battery is 110 amp and your starting battery is 85amp then when your running your van the leisure battery will only charge to 85 amp as your starting battery tells the alternator when it's full. I had this problem on my van now I have changed them so they are both the same size, they charge better and I get a lot longer out the leisure battery and my smart trickle charger does both at once with no problems.

montypsx said:
Just a quickie if your leisure battery is 110 amp and your starting battery is 85amp then when your running your van the leisure battery will only charge to 85 amp as your starting battery tells the alternator when it's full. I had this problem on my van now I have changed them so they are both the same size, they charge better and I get a lot longer out the leisure battery and my smart trickle charger does both at once with no problems.

Interesting comment. If the split charge relay is closed (or connecting the two batteries together) the alternator just see's a total load from both batteries whatever the amp/hour rating they are. It cant decide which one to read, its just a bulk of stored energy.

Lidl have got intelligent charger for £14 at the moment. 3 year warranty.

I've just bought one as i couldn't justify £100 for ctek, when i just want to occasionally top up my batteries safely.

I've got a similar split charge system to you, for when I'm on the move

I've been using it the past couple of days, manually moving it from normal battery to leisure. Very easy, once charged it automatically switches to a maintenance mode

http://www.lidl-service.com/static/65812880/92517_HR_RO_BG_EL.pdf

Latest posts