Trouble shooting.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubscum

Reaction score
1600tp standard single carb engine.
My bus won't start. It has a strange intermittent problem of dieing. From running fine to nothing at all. It's worse after a long run, if I stop it at a shop or for fuel it starts and drives for half aile then dies. It won't even fire or catch if I try jumping when It cuts out.
I got it home and in the garage and left it. It then started fine or ran like shit with not enough power to get out the garage. Now it won't even fire. I have all weekend to sort it. I filled it with petrol, got 2 carbs that are in good working order (it's single carb 1's a spare) I've just bought new points and condenser, all the other stuff is less then 1000 miles old? I'm gonna go over it step by step. Anyone had anything like this ? All help and advice is welcome.
Thanks ash

Sounds very much like a fuel line blockage. Very possibly in the tank where the pickup pipe is. There should be a filter gauze over the end of the pickup which can get blocked off as it deteriorates by all the crud that collects in the bottom of the tank over the years. Next time it stops like you said, pull the pipe off the fuel pump that goes to the tank and blow hard down it. You should be able to hear it bubble in the tank. Then reconnect and try it. If it runs then that is very likely to be the cause. If so, pull the tank out, flush it out, remove the old pickup and fit a new one without the gauze and put an inline filter in the fuel pipe soon after the pickup, over the gearbox, not in the engine bay.

I agree with madman - sounds defo like fuel issues.

Can you take the fuel line off the carb and get someone to turn the bus over with the line in a jar and see if any fuel is coming out and is under decent pressure.

You should also probably check the carb and see if any crap has made its way up the fuel lines and into the jets.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted.

that sounds a likely cause, as I've tried turning it over in the garage for 30 secs and nothing, but it didn't smell of petrol. My first check was going to the fuel pump. Thanks

Had same problem after doing the tank fuel lines and pump, new carb and away she went. Fault was Identical would run around for an hour pull upto a junction stall and wouldn't restart no jumping or any thing

Hi,

I had similar, crud in carb, cleared it out, went fine, broke down again, cleaned out carb (again) replace fuel filter. Problem sorted. Must have been crap from the filter, i think it had been on for a while, was at least 2 years since i changed it, now changed to ICT's anyway, still runs fine.

Maybe your issue is the fuel filter, have you changed it recently?

Cheers,

Alistair

changed the in line fuel filter a few weeks back. I was full of crud. I fuel tank, and carb spring clean and new fuel pipes and fliter at the weekend then

Is the fuel cut valve ok? Had that play up on my boose when I first got it.

Latest posts