'Trying' to be a bit philosophical

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsurfer

Reaction score
I do the Lottery every week and like most people, from time to time I talk about what I'd do with the winnings (cars, large house etc.) but it has dawned on me recently about how good life is without a huge bank balance.
Love my camper van, family, surfing and Skating so what else do you need?
I've travelled round the World, surfed and windsurfed in some beautiful places like Cape Town and California but what I realise in my old age is that what I've got 'aint too bad in a 'boring' town:mrgreen:
I'm happy in sleepy Malvern riding my bike with my son on the back or just skating down the street.

My wife always says 'you don't have to do something amazing to have an amazing time' you know what, she's right :lol:

Anyway, just thought I'd share my take on life, feel free to take the piss :mrgreen:

Well said there my man.
I stopped doing the lottery a couple of years ago because I figured all that money would just get in the way of all the things I truly love.

Wage rise would be nice though :lol:

Like the sentiment very much. I get these moments often and am fortunate to have a very part time full time career. I am torn between avoiding going away to work as much as possible so i can stay home and enjoy the simple pleasures and the family, OR bouts of blatent consumerism, expensive holidays, toys, and the 'gottagetahead' mentality which requires sellin yer soul to the devil..... Sadly my inner hippy is losing the battle so i'll keep on buying those tickets!!! :?

well said that man, well said. more money doesn't mean anything, especially as most people go after it by working all the hours god sends and never having time to spend it, wishing for a lottery win is a bit different granted, but no point wishing for a chance in a million when you can do something about it for yourself

but then again, i think i had my mid life crisis early. knocking on for 30 i realised that the creative person i longed to be had long since vanished, so i started doing more creative stuff again, and started teaching martial arts and I've been a lot happier since, recent addition of a nipper helped too :mrgreen:

Well give me a lottery win any day :lol:
I hate (a bit strong but....) my job but because of the current crisis i'm stuck with it (been doing the same job since school, 18 years (god i sound old)) would love the money to do whatever i wanted to do but as i dont do the lottery i buggered :lol:

Seriously though, i tend to agree and would love the time and money to be able to do whatever i wanted whenever i wanted but bills need paying etc etc.
Trying to talk the wife into buggering off abroad for a few years but she's not having any of it although it seems to be the same throughout the world at the minute so its good old blightly for us (unless i find a job in Cornwall then i'll be there tomorrow). Have thought of moving out of the town and into the countryside to give the young ones some freedom and this is probably a more realistic solution.
but hey i'm still young (?) so theres time to do whatever i (we) want to

Hmmm.

Lottery win or just as I am!

Money ain't everything (generally it's the fame which corrupts people who suddenly find they have more cash than sense :? )

True, I have a comfortable life, will be better once the kids get a bit older as the wife is currently doing Open University, so planning to get a job once the kids are over 16 (she does have a couple of part time jobs now though...).

BUT - if I did win the lottery (doesn't have to be millions mind), life would be nicer (I would hope). :?

I completely agree.....

Not the lottery but similar in many ways.... I've played drums for many (many) years in various bands, to some extent to a decent level, when I was younger I longed for the fortune and glory of life as a rock star and all the apparent trappings that would bring.

But I know a number of people from my time 'en scene' who have 'made it' - some in a VERY big way, but speaking to them now I realise how lucky I :shock: am! They now see what they do as just work (like we all do), some have even decided it simply wasn't for them and walked away.

I have a cracking family, a job that I really enjoy, pays not bad (I could spend more mind), I love kicking back with mates, riding the bike, surfing etc.

And, when I feel like it, I can get the sticks out and bust a few grooves with friends, no pressure, just Rock n Roll for shits and giggles.

I also believe, taht what ever I did for a living, it wouldn't be the same without my wife and kids, my bus and a drum kit to take it out on now and again....

Phew, that was deep.......

See .. I thought about it .. and decided on a couple of rum and cokes before reply ...

I love the sentiment, and would whole heartily agree .. However i had to think about it for a while ..

At the mo, my bus is off the road, my mrs is just recovering from surgery and we're moving house.. so its not the best times ..

.. but then I thought .. I never do the lottery ... so that tells a tale doesn't it ..!

Well said said .. I for one shall not be taking the piss! ;)

Hilly

... but if I did win, i'd organise a big bus show every year .. free for early's! :D

Hilly_70 said:
See .. I thought about it .. and decided on a couple of rum and cokes before reply ...

Was the rum Sailor Jerry? The very very best......if you haven't tried it yet, give it a go - it's awesome.

Had similar thoughts at the weekend. Went to BB09. The youngster was with the grandparents as we were part of the EB lineup arrived at the race course on the Friday. Walked down into Brighton and found a pub in Kemp Town doing live music and selling Doom Bar cornish ale. Band were great an even Garry Moore from Thin Lizzy who was in the crowd popped onto stage for a quick jam. More Doom Bar, nice meal with the Mrs and then all the fun of the meet next day and party in the evening. Weather even turned out better than expected. Drove home and picked up our 5 year old and thought "life is good". Got back to work on Monday and receptionist asked "for the lottery money". Feeling lucky and not wanting to me the only mug not in the syndicate if we won, duly paid up.
:lol:

Couldn't agree more. The lottery is a tax on hope anyway. Or a stupidity tax, whichever way you look at it.
We have had some awful things happen this year, but I am still happy, and I have got a lovely girl who i love very much, and got the gene genie 1971 bus this year which is coming along nicely.

roll on the summer.

damn right si!!! money isnt everything and all that jazz....
i on then other hand would welcome a lottery win..... i work all the hours god send.... but not just cos i would like more money.....i do it to make ends meet!

but im still happy without that win..... for sure :mrgreen:

buddysbuddy said:
Hilly_70 said:

Was the rum Sailor Jerry? The very very best......if you haven't tried it yet, give it a go - it's awesome.

sailor jerrys rocks!!!! with coke it tastes all buttery and nice!!! an they had it at the Cornwall Jamboree...... mmm mmmmmm! :mrgreen:

oh and on the theme of lottery wins.... i would buy a campsite somewhere on the north coast of cornwall and it would be totally geared up for vee dubs...so first on the list would be remove any speed bumps!!!...... and earlys would be free!!

thru_a_lupe said:
damn right si!!! money isnt everything and all that jazz....
i on then other hand would welcome a lottery win..... i work all the hours god send.... but not just cos i would like more money.....i do it to make ends meet!

but im still happy without that win..... for sure :mrgreen:

thru_a_lupe said:
oh and on the theme of lottery wins.... i would buy a campsite somewhere on the north coast of cornwall and it would be totally geared up for vee dubs...so first on the list would be remove any speed bumps!!!...... and earlys would be free!!

Sweet Dude, make it close to Polzeath and if you need a gardener/maintenance person...............................
where does Clare sign up :lol: :lol: she can work whilst I surf :mrgreen:

thats my dream dude.... campsite owner in cornwall!

doubt it'll every happen.... but anyones more than welcome to come and work the summer with a pitch for payment! :mrgreen:

thru_a_lupe said:
thats my dream dude.... campsite owner in cornwall!

doubt it'll every happen.... but anyones more than welcome to come and work the summer with a pitch for payment! :mrgreen:

i`ll buy one with you fella....mind you i`d never do any work , you`ll find me in the sea , with me bus close by.....cool as 8)

thru_a_lupe said:

heh, i have similar dreams, though no need for a lottery win for that though, just balls and a bank loan :mrgreen:

look, other folk make a business that way:
http://www.airstreameurope.com/airstream-camp-site/airstream-camp-site.htm

Latest posts