type IV engine in an early bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick88

Reaction score
hello,

i've a westfalia tintop from 1970 and build a 2L type IV engine for it, but what kind of engine mount bar do i need?
make one my own? or can i buy one somewhere?

thanks and greetings from belgium :)

nick88 said:
hello,

i've a westfalia tintop from 1970 and build a 2L type IV engine for it, but what kind of engine mount bar do i need?

I made one to fit my corvair engine, I'd be inclinded to modify a type 4 mount to line up with the early mounting points

creationblue said:
nick88 said:
hello,

I made one to fit my corvair engine, I'd be inclinded to modify a type 4 mount to line up with the early mounting points

Can you make a picture of iT for me?
Thanks

because of the extra weight of the type4 motor you should fit the middle support above the gearbox....gonna have to get it off a donor bus & weld it in.
modifying the tinware to fit between the narrower chassis rails has been done by afew, might be worth contacting Paul Weeding on here for tips

Harlequin said:
because of the extra weight of the type4 motor you should fit the middle support above the gearbox....gonna have to get it off a donor bus & weld it in.
modifying the tinware to fit between the narrower chassis rails has been done by afew, might be worth contacting Paul Weeding on here for tips

What do you mean with the middle support above the gearbox?
From factory of there is no gearbox support in a early bay.

nick88 said:
Harlequin said:

What do you mean with the middle support above the gearbox?
From factory of there is no gearbox support in a early bay.

When the first type4 (1700cc) was fitted in the crossover 72's earlybays the chassis rails are about 3inch wider & the top of the gearbox bellhousing has 2 "lugs" that are then supported from the heavy rail above........use the search button ^^^^^^ I can't post pics as I'm at work

This just about shows the hanger (shiny bit)

I ran a much heavier engine than the T4 without a middle hanger, and if your running a 3 rib box you wont really have a choice, but I did eventually retrofit the middle hanger

Just

Edit: This is a 6rib box with the hanger 'ears'

What're your plans on stopping the fan sucking in hot air off the exhaust?

Normally with a type 4 in an EB I would recommend going with type 1 or Porsche cooling. That way you don't need to hack the engine bay about!! 8)

Jake Raby - Aircooled Technology in the USA, offer a rear engine-support adapter system, for installing a VW Type 4 style engine, into a 1968~71 VW 1600 Type 2.

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe there are details somewhere on The Samba forum

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Weeding said:
Knocking up a support bar really isn't that hard...

This is the 1976~79 VW 2000 Type 2 engine, installed in Arthur Barraclough's, much vaunted, extensively modified, 1970 VW "1600" Type 2, Devon campervan, with high-top roof, featured in the display, of VW Vanfest 1995, at the Three Counties Showground, in Malvern, Worcestershire, England.

The picture was originally featured, as part of a VW magazine, show report, as follows:

Neil Birkitt, "Vantastic Vanfest", On the Scene, VW Motoring, December 1995, pages 60~64.

Note the supplementary oil cooler & electric booster fan, on the left-hand size of the engine compartment.

342707.jpg

The engine was also equipped with a cranked-starting-handle facility, so it could be started manually, without the use of the electric starter motor. Arthur had to use this habitually, shortly after commencing one of his long overland treks, owing to starter-motor failure.

This facility would be particularly useful, for vehicles with automatic transmission, which cannot be push-started or tow-started and also for solo drivers, who cannot obtain assistance from passengers or other motorists.

In 1989, I had undertaken a similar modification to my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 engine and more recently to the VW Type 4 engine, which is being transplanted in this vehicle.

One of my MAJOR reasons for substituting a VW Type 4 engine, was that of having the cooling-system fan, being driven directly by the crankshaft, rather than via a V-belt an alternator or dynamo shaft; having experienced catastrophic alternator-shaft seizure on the VW 1600 Type 2 engine, during Easter 1991, after only circa 9000 miles of use!

Refer to the following thread, for more information about Arthur Barraclough's campervan:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1808610&highlight=#1808610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts