Tyre Issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

My '71 bus just came back from having some work done (front beam, brakes and fan belt) and I noticed that they had fit the tyres incorrectly. This was causing the front passenger side tyre to rub on the arch when driving home. I therefore assumed that this larger tyre should be on the rear as it was the same size as the rear tyre on the drivers side. By doing this it made the front tyres the same size and the rear tyres the same size. All is great... or so I thought.

The issue now is that it took a lot of effort to make the wider tyre fit between the arch (a had to drop all the pressure out of it to get it to fit. When I lower the bus down the tyre then fouled the arch and rubs when moving. This wasn't happening before. In addition the drivers side has great clearance to the arch with the same tyre fitted. I am lost as to what to do next and so any ideas would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
Freddie

I'm assuming these are not standard wheels - are the one you've got a different offset / width front to rear?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi mate. Thanks so much for responding

They're not standard wheels. I can tell you that the front tyres are 185/55 R15 82V and the rear tyres are 185/65 R15 88H. On the drivers rear there is about 1" clearance from arch to wheel (width wise) but on the passenger side there is no clearance at all.

Any additional advice would be fantastic

Do you have any more info on the wheels themselves - what are they? Did you buy them new or second hand? Do the front wheels sit evenly in the arches? Maybe take some photos as that can always help. Sounds like the garage experienced the same problem as you did, so just switched one of the fronts with the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wheels came with the bus when I bought her last year. I'll get some picks tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help!

Moseley said:
Do you have any more info on the wheels themselves - what are they? Did you buy them new or second hand? Do the front wheels sit evenly in the arches? Maybe take some photos as that can always help. Sounds like the garage experienced the same problem as you did, so just switched one of the fronts with the back.

Hi mate. Just letting you know the problem is now sorted. There was a loose bit of panel that's now been rectified. Thanks for your help

Latest posts