Tyres need replacing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shavey

Reaction score
Hi, I am not sure of how old the tyres are on my bus, they look old and I don't want to take any risks. Plus, I want to get one for the spare too as that one is knackered.
The tyre size I have is P215/75R14, but I don't seem to be able to find these anywhere. Therefore, can I use another size an if so what would you recommend?
I have a 68 Bus import from California and the wheels are standard stock.

Cheers

Stock should be 185r14, mine have 185/75r14 hope that helps.
My bus came with 3 different size tyres!

I've got 185R14C on stock steel wheels on my 1970. "C" rating means I can fill it with crap without worrying about the bus weight. Or mine.
(I think it means 8-ply instead of 4-ply radials)

They are a standard size on an slightly older transit (mk4?), so really easy to come by, even second-hand.

There's sellers on ebay that import part-worn German tyres that are tested, guaranteed, free from damage and repairs etc., but with thousands of miles of life in them. Because German law requires drivers to fit winter tyres in winter, there's a lot of spare summer tyres around.

It depends on your view on secondhand tyres and your budget.

My bus rolls in and out of the garage to be worked on, and it might go for MOT soon, but it goes nowhere else, so brand new tyres aren't a priority for me yet.

I've got 195 75 14 on mine, vanco 2 …. commercial rated:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m90b1740s513p112858/Continental_Tyres_Van_Continental_ContiVanco_2_Continental_Conti_Vanco_2_-_195_75_R14_C_106Q_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB/RS_GB?gclid=CMP0t-zkzMACFZTLtAodLSIA6g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had vanco's on my T4, very pleased with them.

Not quite right 'starbiscuit', but near enough. German car dealers must provide used cars with a roadworthiness certificate that is valid for two years. Because tyres are covered as well, dealers automatically fit new tyres no matter how old the tyres on car, hence a lot of very good part worn tyres.If your vehicle is fitted with all weather tyres ,as most vehicles are now, they can be used all year round, but in extremly bad conditions drivers do fit winter tyres because if they do get stuck causing obstuction the police can fine them on the spot.
A friend of mine, a tyre dealer, buys tyres from germany by a container load and has fitted my family car with a very good set of 225.50.17 Michelin X Green tyres at fraction of new price and I'm very pleased
Robert

Thanks all for the advice. I got five Hankook 185R14s. The other tyres where cracking around the tyre wall and I was unable to see any date code. Feel much better now, knowing I have a new set and a spare in the back...

Latest posts