Uber Cool 67' 1500 Beetle

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uber cool

Reaction score
Ok its sort of EB related and it is parked next to one
My new project to run along side the 68 westy

westy024.jpg

More pics of the Beetle, the paint work is awful, complete orange peel, it will need a respray at some stage. The body is sound, has new floor pans, poly bushed everywhere, 3" narrowed lowered beam, new cross drilled discs and calipers, new rear cyinders all new hoses and master cylinder, brand new 1641 engine (never run before I got it) :shock: the PO assembled the piston rings wrong, so smoked like hell, :lol: stripped it down rotated the rings and now fine. Also has twin carbs and nice chrome trim on engine.

I think someone has spent serious money on this, but the bloke I got it from had had it 6 months but had lost interest. It was sold as a non runner as he couldnt get it going and no MOT. I got it home and it took 6 mins to get it started, he had wired the coil wrong and connections on the fuel pump reversed. Then 4 hours to strip and rotate the piston rings.

I paid £1500 for it :D however I did have to go via Southampton, as I was supposed to be picking up up a mint 65 ragtop, turned out to be mint paint and rotten underneath :roll: So on the way back stopped in wigan , 10 miles from me, the guy wanted £2000, I expained it was late I have a hired trailer and £1500 in my pocket, after some extreme face pulling( him not me :lol: ) and chatting with his wife ( I think she wanted shut of it ) it was on the trailer.

next stage MOT, paint the sides cream, new side trim and a fit a ragtop,
67beetle005.jpg

67beetle004.jpg

67beetle001.jpg

67beetle006.jpg

This is what we are aiming for
67beetleplan.jpg

I'm sure I have seen this thread before :shock:

Nice bug and cheap at twice the price ;)

Ok got the brakes sorted, the PO put the seals in the wrong way round in the master cylinder :roll:
Went for a little test ride and front ride quailty is crap. So decided to raise the suspension a bit, Took the front up halfway on the adjusters and put the back up 1 spline, still rides crap and even worse looks crap. So going to drop the back down 1 spline and play around with the front shocks and beam set up. Might even swap out the narrowed beam for a standard beam with dropped spindles.

67beetle011.jpg

67beetle008.jpg

67beetle012.jpg

this was before I raised it
67beetle004.jpg

think it needs to go back down and live with crapish ride all in the name of looks 8)

Bit of an update, it flew through its MOT early July, then went to the Hot Rod Meet in Preston that night.
The wife is well pleased, first 2nd car she has had and getting looks and good comments from others
Makes a change to when she drives her Nissan note :lol:
100_2930.jpg

Also picked up these up (off VZI) when working in Glasgow last week.
100_3020.jpg

Going to swap the rear drums to wide 205 drums and fit adaptors on the front so I can use the 4 x130 discs, or might even swap out the discs to 205 disc set up.

Also on the look out for a rag top, Britax or Webasto type roof from a MGB or similar, cant afford a Golde roof!

Latest posts