Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did some more on the engine this weekend :D more hand polished alloy parts and started repairing the fibreglass fan housing too. hopefully andy will get some pics up soon :D

maybee this weekend we'll get the engine back in the camper if he has some spare time. i think its basically ready to get the engine in, then bolt on the fan and carbs later on?

fannehbatter said:
did some more on the engine this weekend :D more hand polished alloy parts and started repairing the fibreglass fan housing too. hopefully andy will get some pics up soon :D

maybee this weekend we'll get the engine back in the camper if he has some spare time. i think its basically ready to get the engine in, then bolt on the fan and carbs later on?

Making me excited and its not even my bus :msn4:

Here the photos after a good 5 hour session in the garage polishing ( oh we did some jobs on the wifes 67 beetle as well)

Decided the orange paint on the rocker covers was crap, so stripped this off and poished the covers. Going to pick out the lettering in red paint.
100_3320.jpg

100_3324.jpg

100_3333.jpg

I'm sure I wasnt this grey when I started building the engine :shock:
100_3328.jpg

100_3340.jpg

and this is what happend when you get a mate Rob, AKA Fannehbatter to help with the polishing for a couple of hours :mrgreen:
100_3342.jpg

Engine is looking well cool dude 8)

Is it getting closer to being fitted??

Yes :mrgreen: As soon as we have been to the EB meet on the 5th Dec the 1600 engine is getting pulled out and the porsche engine is going in, that'll give me the push to rebuild the carbs and alternator.

Hopefully then first outing will be Dubfreeze in Feb 2011.

I've found a new toy on photobucket with colour wash, cool heh!
100_2889-2.jpg

Oh and you might have spotted that's not an air cooled Ghia :mrgreen:

uber cool said:
I've found a new toy on photobucket with colour wash, cool heh!
100_2889-2.jpg

Oh and you might have spotted that's not an air cooled Ghia :mrgreen:

nice pic

now stop playing with toys and go fit that engine................lol

here a pic for you collection ( finally fitted the sticker you did for me, 2nd ones waiting for another bus ;) )

76990_10150315316735696_533370695_15750123_1255124_n.jpg

fannehbatter said:
come on dude, get ya finger out. one more weeken and it could be in your van running :D
your right dude, got the fuel pressure regulator now, so all needed parts should be here.

how you fixed next week?

sorry no photos today, but did a bit more :p
spent 4 hours rebuilding 1 carb :shock: a Solex would have taken 20 mins :lol:

also carrying out repairs to fibreglass fan shroud, think I'll paint it orange (since that's the only engine paint on the shelf)

Hopefully this weekend I'll get the other carb rebulit and fan cover painted. Also need to rebuild the alternator and fan assembly.

maybe ready in time for dubfreeze 2011 !!!! :D

Some photos now :mrgreen:

carbs stripped ready for rebuild
ubersecure008.jpg

ubersecure009.jpg

and rebuilt
ubersecure007.jpg

ubersecure005.jpg

as the engine came as a box of parts and not very well stored nearly every part requires some sort of fettling, take the inlet manifolds for examples, all badly pitted. Had to carefully clean them up on a flat surface with 80 grade wet n dry with plently of oil. Came up nice :mrgreen:

ubersecure017.jpg

ubersecure015.jpg

ubersecure011.jpg

Started on the fibreglass fan cover, again needs loads of repairs to the cracked and chipped fibreglass cover.
ubersecure001.jpg

ubersecure002.jpg

Looking good do you think it'll be in for dubfreeze
Keep up the good work uber you got balls :mrgreen:

I'd like to think so, but it's fighting me every step of the way, just tested the alternator and that's knackered too. At £500 + for a new one i'm going to need to find an auto electrician to rebuild it for me. Or find somewhere that sell the diodes and do it myself.

Nice to see an update, but sad for you with forever finding issues.....

We are all behind you mate with this project ;)

gninnam said:
Nice to see an update, but sad for you with forever finding issues.....

We are all behind you mate with this project ;)

Cheers fella :mrgreen: I suppose it's all part of the fun :shock:

My fault for buying a 1 year only porsche engine! :lol: :lol:

still thank God for ebay and the internet, without it I would never have found half the parts I needed!