Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cunning plan said:
ibérico said:
I am following this tthread with a lot of interest. Keep up the good Job:) and. Please Open up a new turrad on the "bargain bug"! It will be a great source of info too :D

+1

New thread on Beetle in Gallery :party0021:
I did think that but I might get in trouble :oops: Mods what about a non early bay gallery section for our other projects :D

uber cool said:
Mods what about a non early bay gallery section for our other projects :D

Good idea - perhaps one for cars (VW only) and another for bikes and skateboards etc ;)

gninnam said:
uber cool said:

Good idea - perhaps one for cars (VW only) and another for bikes and scatboards etc ;)
I'll ask the question, think we all like to see other cars as well.

uber cool said:
gninnam said:
uber cool said:

Good idea - perhaps one for cars (VW only) and another for bikes and scatboards etc ;)
I'll ask the question, think we all like to see other cars as well.

Yup, I go on a few American car forums too (love yank stuff), but most of the guys on there are interested to see what I am doing with the bus, so I post up in their 'garage' section, even though it isn't a American.

I consider the 'Gallery' to be all and any projects? I'm interested in reading about most stuff. If you don't want to hear about a 'rover metro' being restored, you can just choose not to read the thread? :tongue0013:

Back on the Porsche engine rebuild :D What a swine to re build, everything takes hours long than on a VW engine, just spent 5 hours doing the cam timing and valve gaps. Just got in from the garage, check the timing of the post :shock:

Engine block now complete, just got the carbs to rebuild and all tinware to paint up. I'll post pics later today

Cam timing, after a few hours of internet searchs and reading manuals etc found the cam timing needs to be 2.3 to 2.7mm lift. This is adjustable as the cam has 2 wheels with many holes and a dowel to lock the 2 together.
So needed a DTI and a suitable bracket to hold the DTI on place. Made a small bracket out of same old angle iron, the DTI has to be set to zero when the valve is closed and then rotate the crank 360deg then measure the lift at 2.5mm, if the reading is not correct the dowel is removed and the cam wheel rotated 1 hole and the doewl replaced. This is done until the correct measurement achieved, this only need to be done on the first rocker of each side to time both cams correctly.

Then all 12 valve gaps set to 0.1mm. Its tricky enough with the engine on a stand and will be impossible when back in the camper, so future valve gap setting/checking will require the engine out :shock:

100_2848.jpg

100_2847.jpg

100_2844.jpg

100_2857.jpg

01:30hrs Monday morning and fairly chuffed that the cam timing I have been dreading is completed. :D :D

100_2852.jpg

Froggy, not too sure when it will be ready, would like to have it ready for mid June, in theory it's possible, but what lets it down is tracking down the parts required, and i'm not sure if the carbs are 100% complete :oops: . Jobs to do , I have the carbs to rebuild ( 6 of them :shock: ) and the alternator to rebuild, then the tin wear to repair and paint., going for a 70'S Gulf colour theme, block matt black, pulleys and covers orange, main cover pale blue.

I have all the big bits I need except an MSD ignition pack. so on the hunt for s MSD 6AL, if anybodies has one lying around unused?

what is your technical background, surely this isnt all self taught and reading books? :shock:

i cant wait to hear what its going to sound like 8)

Johnny said:
what is your technical background, surely this isnt all self taught and reading books? :shock:

i cant wait to hear what its going to sound like 8)
Yes it is, started working in cars at 16 years old, so now have 24 years experience of tinkering, but no formal qualifications in cars.

Johnny said:
i think id panic if i had that engine sitting infront of me :lol: .

and me! :lol: really nice work sir :mrgreen:

Brilliant work so far 8) - hope you get the other bits sorted soon ;)

easy said:
Johnny said:
i think id panic if i had that engine sitting infront of me :lol: .

and me! :lol: really nice work sir :mrgreen:
I do as well, one big unknown is will it run, it hadn't run for 8 years prior to me buying it :shock:

I try not to think about this, whilst paying silly money for porsche parts :D

Have not touched it for weeks, :oops:

Sorted out the wife's 67 Beetle, that's got an MOT now. :p Also been to Classic Le mans 9, 10 and 11th July (we must organise an EB trip there for 2012).

The only progress on the Porsche front is that I managed to get an MSD to replace the 911 CDI setup, so have everything required to fit, just need the time to sort out. With the August family holiday to France coming round fast i'm going to roll with the 1600 engine on holiday and once back rip it out and fit the 911 motor in time for Brighton Breeze.

Or at least that's the plan ;)

it is that awkward time of yr when you are either on holiday yourself, or you are visiting friends and families etc. i am going to try and get myself down to Brighton Breeze this yr if at all possible...so maybe see you there.

have a good time in france. where abouts are your going?

NaFe

Had the 1600 engine out again today, changed the crank rear oil seal (slight weep). Also mounted the MSD unit on the rear petrol tank bulkhead ready the the 911 engine. But going to wire this up with the 1600 to use on holiday.
The MSD unit was 2nd hand off ebay, slaved it in last week to try it. It was like an lightening storm, mega sized big fat blue spark, :mrgreen: engine ran miles better.

The MSD is the 7AL is really intended for drag racing with soft rev limiter, read launch control 8) but was a bargain at £60.

msd7224.gif

I'll post some pics once I have it wired up.