Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, family holiday over, we went to the Vendee region of France, 1200 mile round trip in total. Only 1 breakdown, my first every in 7 years of owning a van :oops: Starter motor packed up, brushes were worn right down. Not too bad though, managed to order another via the internet and posted to the camper site with 24hrs. So only grounded for 1 day. :mrgreen:

Some photos of our holiday, with the wait at Portsmouth, for the ferry.

100_3087.jpg

100_3088.jpg

100_3092.jpg

Having read one of the threads on here I realised we never usethe cooler and sink, only the spice rack and fold out table. So before we went I took the cooler unit out, made up a new back panel and mounted the spice rack on this. It gave us loads more room, best interior mods I,ve made for the van.
100_3091.jpg

Now the holidays are over and dont think I'll be going to Vanfest or Brighton Breeze it's time to get the engine out and the porsche one in........................... well thats after I've rebuilt my sisters engine, fitted a new kitchen, lowered and resprayed the wife's beetle :lol: :lol: :lol:

but as reminder it looks like this

100_2857.jpg

Can't wait to see the Porsche engine going in (as I am sure you can't :? ), but you do have to keep the wife happy too ;)

gninnam said:
Can't wait to see the Porsche engine going in (as I am sure you can't :? ), but you do have to keep the wife happy too ;)
Yep, the wife has just read that and agrees with you :mrgreen:

uber cool said:
gninnam said:
Yep, the wife has just read that and agrees with you :mrgreen:

:lol:

surfbus said:
gninnam said:

Pleas read back a few pages.... ;) :mrgreen:

I meant 'running and not coming out.....' :lol:

Well, kitchen alterations mostly completed this weekend, range cooker fitted, so wife now v happy :mrgreen:

Sisters car, well that's a Citroen C3 (snapped cambelt and 8 bent valves). , wrong parts delivered, so that will have to wait another week :roll:

I did polish the fan housing on the Porsche engine, so a little progress this week. (more than the last 2 months)

and I 've also sourced a Golde ragtop for the wife's Beetle. :mrgreen:

uber cool said:
I did polish the fan housing on the Porsche engine, so a little progress this week. (more than the last 2 months)

and I 've also sourced a Golde ragtop for the wife's Beetle. :mrgreen:

RESULT :mrgreen:

still chasing some parts for the triple Zenith carbs :roll: . So whilst waiitng for these to appear on the internet I have been working in the wifes Beetle.

sourced some polished wide 5 empis and some 185 x 60 tyres for the rear and 145 x 65 for the front.

Fitted these myself with the £25 ebay tyre machine purchase :mrgreen:

Converted the 4 stud to wide 5 stud and dropped the rear 1 spline and the front lowered on an adjustable beam.
Image0255.jpg

i like the bug :)

tell me are the centre caps the push through type? i'm having problems sourcing the correct centre caps for mine (two missing)

yeah push through type. But a bit loose, had to secure with a bit of sealant.

The wheels are only the MWS type, so not top dollar wheels, but look cool anyway.

Stripped the carbs to check for missing parts and damage etc. All complete only missing 2 pumpjets.
But on a 1 year only porsche 1970 to 71 with carbs which aren't made anymore wasnt going to be easy find. :shock: Cue ebay, been tracking ebay for a few weeks now, and for some reason the US has a lot more early porsche parts for sale, maybe its the good weather?

Anyway tracked down someone who had stripped a carb down and selling single parts, i've ordered them and should be in the UK in the next week or so.
100_3174.jpg

Used Autosol, on the top of the carb and its come up great.

100_3175.jpg

even polished the internal ram pipes :mrgreen:
100_3172.jpg

A lot more parts inside these compared to a 34 Solex!, but then again it is 3 carbs in one :mrgreen:
100_3176.jpg

These are the parts I need, and are on there way from US.
100_3173.jpg

Sometimes ebay can prove to be useful :mrgreen:

Creeping ever so further forward with this conversion now ;)