Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've said it before and i'll say it again. i love the look of the carb version of the porsche engine. i know the FI was a supposed advancement, but love the look and hope these are what you need to get that thing purring.

my fingers are crossed for you

Glad the Porsche engine is back on and hope the new carbs prove to be the start of a loving relationship :mrgreen:

stripped the carbs and all look fine. Fitted them, fired up the engine and it purred on all 6 straight off :mrgreen:

One bank of carbs is still sucking fuel in when turned off, so suspect the float height is not set right. At least it more promising than it has been before and I haven't even set the idle mixture and air bypass.

Then the fun beings, if you thought tuning 1 carb was bad I need to do 6, then balance them to each other. :shock:

uber cool said:
stripped the carbs and all look fine. Fitted them, fired up the engine and it purred on all 6 straight off :mrgreen:

One bank of carbs is still sucking fuel in when turned off, so suspect the float height is not set right. At least it more promising than it has been before and I haven't even set the idle mixture and air bypass.

Then the fun beings, if you thought tuning 1 carb was bad I need to do 6, then balance them to each other. :shock:

Hi,

Great news, glad you stuck with the Porsche now. Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Cheers,

Alistair

awsome mate. chuffed for you.

i had a bloody nightmare running twin kadrons on my beetle. they constantly went out of tune.

looking forward to some footage of it running in your bus. crazy week or so, one minute its drove you to the edge of sacking it. next minute its purring like a kitten. a lesson to us all in never giving up, as the solution to the most annoying problem may just be round the corner. :D

Great result :mrgreen:

Bet you are made up and sounds like you should be able to move forward now ;)

Sure has been a crazy week. Key is keep your eye on ebay, for those bits your looking for!

It sure does spin up fast, blipped the throttle and it was at 5,000 rpm, bloody crazy!

I've also decided to stop counting the pennys, as that doesnt help. As the old songs goes 'Carry on Regardless' - beautiful South, for those that cant remember or too young :lol:

I've got quite a few spares for this 1 year only engine now, so making me feel a little easier to use with family knowing i'll be able to carry a few spares in the van :mrgreen:

I've struck gold on ebay again :mrgreen: Marelli uber rare dizzy including cap ( you cant buy any of this new, not even caps) all for £16.50 plus postage.

Also found a porsche 911 write on tuning triple webers (the zenith is very similar), so off to the garage tonight to have a play with the carbs and probably annoy the neighbours with endless revving :mrgreen:

uber cool said:
I've struck gold on ebay again :mrgreen: Marelli uber rare dizzy including cap ( you cant buy any of this new, not even caps) all for £16.50 plus postage.

Also found a porsche 911 write on tuning triple webers (the zenith is very similar), so off to the garage tonight to have a play with the carbs and probably annoy the neighbours with endless revving :mrgreen:

You're on a run now aren't you?!? :D

Zeniths get a bad rep but I really liked them on our old 911T, worked a treat and I've got a mate with an early 911 running them on an SC lump, so they've got potential!

Which basic engine is the one you've got? 2.2T?

uber cool said:
Yeah 2.2t

Cool! Means you get dibs on possibly the coolest of the porsche oem stickers 8)

Sticker22.jpg

uber cool said:
Also found a porsche 911 write on tuning triple webers (the zenith is very similar),

There some good threads on setting up Zeniths on some of the Porsche forums, may still have some bookmarks from when we had ours if you're looking for more info.

I think the Porsche engine has finally beat me! Testing the engine last night on the test bench. Got a nice tick over then a rattle started and got gradually louder. Stopped the engine but it sounds like big ends or mains. I have no choice but to strip the engine and see what's happening in side. I never split the case, so this was always a gamble. :( :(

I'll be honest if it needs a crank regrind, new mains and big ends and a new gasket set its approx the £800 mark, and I dont have these funds. :( So if this is the case I'll be parting out the engine and selling it an ebay or a Porsche forum. At the mo if I part it out I'll cover my outlay, so not a big problem.

Just a big bummer it wont be Porsche powered anymore and maybe Alfa instead.

Then again I may sleep on it for a while and change my mind :msn4:

Yeah I will think about it for a few days, but to be honest ive sank too much time and money in this project, the engine has fought me every step of the way. I've had fun researching the engine and finding parts in the USA.

However Life is too short so I think I'll quit while i'm still ahead. Porsche parts really are ridiculously expensive, like a set of barrels and pistons at £3500. It's alovely motor to look at compared to the alfa engine but it's no use not going anywhere.

Its now on ebay, then next week I'll strip it down for the post mortom

Then again maybe I'll get lucky and find a cheap set of bearings and reground crank, or maybe find a spanner ive lost in the sump ;)

Bum :(

In the hope that it's something neither internal or expensive but could the rattling noise be timing chains / tensioners?

Make a real nasty noise when they go but easy to get at and nowhere near bottom end rebuild costs....

no not at the top end, seems low down, loudest from underneath near the sump. more of a knocking/tapping than a rattle. I'll get the sum plate off, could be a baffle plate or sump mesh, but sounds deeper than that , if you know what I mean. :(

WTF :evil:

I can't tell you what to do or not, but I hope the decision is one that you don't regret.

Good luck :D