Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gninnam said:
Just caught up with your thread (seems a lot of my notified posts have not been notifying me...).

When you look on EarlyBay, just use the best button on the forum:

Screenshot2011-09-05at151013.png

;)

Cheers guys thanks for support, really appreciate the comments keeps me going. Can't wait for parts to arrive and get back on with it. At least I'll know the bottom end is good and a know condition.
Went to VW action on Saturday and saw Nellys bus run, that's one fast bus! Given me an idea to get mine down the strip once complete

Wahoo :D

Parts arrived from USA on Wednesday, many thanks to ib-bus for help shipping these over.

The bad news is think I need more parts :(

but not too many, think this will end up a fully rebuilt 911 engine once ive finished

the part I needed is the gear on the intermediate shaft below the crank, there is a lot of backlash in the currently fitted gear and the teeth are quite worn.

100_1319.jpg

100_1327.jpg

Was about to order a new one from USA, however found a uk based porsche forum ddk, and posted a wanted ad. As luck would have it there is a Porsche engine bulider about 40 miles away in Kendal. Went to see him last week and picked up a good second hand gear for a reasonable price. Turns out after chatting to him why I stripped the engine the excessive backlash in my gear would explain the noise I had. Which does also help to explain why I've found no damage on the crank or conrods.

So now all parts are here I need to get the crank halves and oil gallery cleaned out and start on the rebuild. :mrgreen:

oh also ditched the 009 dizzy and Bocar carb. Fitted a proper Vw Solex 34 PICT and VW vac advance dizzy, what a difference :shock: drives lovely and pulls nices with no bogging down :mrgreen:

surfbus said:
Great news Uber!
Why don't you post a small video from the running engine? Thanks!
Which engine do you mean. The running sweet refers to the fitted 1641cc. Might be my fault if you thought I meant the Porsche engine was running. That's still in bits!

uber cool said:
surfbus said:
Great news Uber!
Why don't you post a small video from the running engine? Thanks!
Which engine do you mean. The running sweet refers to the fitted 1641cc. Might be my fault if you thought I meant the Porsche engine was running. That's still in bits!

Yes, i was refering to the porsche engine.. My mistake! :oops:

No worries. Can understand it's hard to follow the Porsche engines been in and out twice and rebuilt and now stripped again. Even I've lost the plot where I'm up to with this!

Just read this from the beginning.
Awesome build.
Good luck and good on you for sticking with it, can't wait to see this beast up and running and sorted.

Well not done much lately. Moved the beetle to another garage to make room to start assembling the Porsche engine again. Also played around with the suspension! It's now 1 spline up on off road big tread tyres! It sure does ride and drive better. Think I'll go to dubfreeze in it raised to see how it handles long distance. I keep bracing myself over potholes, for it to just float over over :shock: its the first time ive driven a non slammed bus, never knew they drove so smooth :lol: :lol: maybe i'm getting too old liking it comfy.

2012 is the year to go high!
Stopped on the drive tonight, forgot it wasn't slammed anymore and fell out the cab :lol:
100_1458.jpg

bajabus-1.jpg

I'm going to fabricate some raised front spindles next :mrgreen:

tidied out the garage last weekend to start rebuilding the porsche engine, crank has been machined and all new bearings, Also picked up another set of 6 barrels and pistons with new rings for a baragain price of £100 of ebay. Had a little helper with me organising the parts. How does one engine take up so much room in pieces!

100_1662.jpg

100_1670.jpg

100_1669.jpg

100_1667.jpg

100_1665.jpg

100_1664.jpg

What size tyres you running now? What's the set up on the front now?
I've made the decision to ditch my dropped spindles and go up in the world!

its still red9 coilovers at the front with the top of the coilover modifed to be 3" longer. but i'm going to fit the torsion leaves back and make some raised spindles. the tyres are 185 off road tyres but just road legal. ie desgined 80% off road and 20% on road, sort of the opposite to All terrian tyres that are 80% on and 20% off. Big knobbly treads. 8) slightl bit of tyre noise above 40MPH, but sounds like a wheel bearing whine. the plus point is less engine rpm and less engine noise at 60mph, so all round okay. its sort of made 3rd like 4th on gearing. and it rides the pot holes great!

Sounds good. How do raised spindles work? Would it be possible to raise the front on beam adjusters??
Just noticed it looks like your running 356 wheels - do you have to watch the offset?

Watch out for the nose bleeds at that height :lol:

Sounds like interesting twist and likeing 8)

Raised spindles are the opposite to lowered splindles. Lowered splindles are made out of 2 sets of splindles machined and rewelded to put the axle or splindle higher up the hub, which in effect lowers the bus. So if you position the spindle lower on the hub this has the effect of raising the bus whilst keeping the suspension geometry the same. You cant raise the bus higher enough just on the red 9 as the arms will lockout and you'll get bump steer and all sorts of crap handling. I think it would be the same with beam adjusters.

yes rims are 356 at the rear but offset was too much at the front catch the inner arches on full lock. So currently only have beetle 4" rims at the front. but will either go back to 356 was the front end is higher or get the 4" rims banded to 5" wide with the extra on the insert.