Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from dubfreeze
IMG-20120219-00115.jpg

old engine and gearbox out, oil still warm from return journey from dubfreeze :lol:
I'm like a proud fisherman that's just landed a massive fish :lol:
100_1801.jpg

Alfa engine in, just to make sure it fits between the chassis rails. Also custom manifold I made from an old VW one and 4 J tubes I had lying around
100_1795.jpg

Not sure what all the tar stuff is on the gearbox, maybe some sort of protection applied years ago?

100_1805.jpg

Another plus point of being raised, didnt have to jack it up :lol:

100_1807.jpg

Man, your not hanging about! My gear box had all that tar stuff on as well, I thought it was from an old ep80/90 leak but it was everywhere so yeah maybe some sort of protection thing?

Haveacamper said:
have i missed something mate? are you now putting alfa engine in? whats happening with the porsche rebuild? is this still rumbling on in the background?
Yep its still there, going to take my time (if I havent aleady) with the rebuil. But want a but more power for this season so thinking Alfa engine this year, to then put in the bug and porsche power the camper next year.

yeah i like to make things complicated :lol:

Gearbox cleaned and repainted ready to go back in.

100_1819.jpg

100_1856.jpg

Taken the chance while the gearbox and engine are out to paint the underside of the floor and chassis rails

100_1851.jpg

100_1857.jpg

Also got the alfa engine on a test rig to check it runs ok and compression etc.

100_1848.jpg

found this mad person in the garage, must have beem sniffing the petrol to long................. :lol:

100_1866.jpg

Been busy tonight, gearbox back in, Drive shafts stripped cleaned, painted and refitted.
100_1919.jpg

100_1924.jpg

100_1925.jpg

I was going to top coat the red oxide in satin black, however prefer the red oxide look. So leaving like it like this and going to work my way to the front over the year and probably strip the beam off over the next winter.

Also still ensure on the off road look, it drives miles better, but i think i'm a die hard lowered bus man!Plus I like my shiney wheels 8) Also changed my mind on the engine again :shock: the Alfa engine is going in the beetle so i can drag race it and the Porsche or camper engine going back in, so keeping it air cooled 8)

uber cool said:
Benyon said:
This is good news!! :mrgreen:
Which bit, the rims, the ride height or the engine, or all of the above :lol:

I'd say he was referring to the red oxide :mrgreen:

Looks great raised great lowered.

Run it raised March - May and Sept - Oct

Run it lowered June - August

Des

Brilliant thread :D definitely 1 I'll be following, just read it from the beginning, real bad luck on the Porsche engine but you seem to have the drive and I bet you'll have it done in no time, oh and as I got to the pictures of your bus up high I realised I'd been sniffing around it at dub freeze lol nice bus 8)

5erge said:
uber cool said:
Benyon said:
This is good news!! :mrgreen:
Which bit, the rims, the ride height or the engine, or all of the above :lol:

I'd say he was referring to the red oxide :mrgreen:

Looks great raised great lowered.

Run it raised March - May and Sept - Oct

Run it lowered June - August

Des
Yeah I did think about leaving it rasied until after Stanford hall :lol: then lowered for a mate wedding and going to Lemans Classic in July.

started to strip the 1600 tp engine,

100_1936.jpg

First obvious cause of the poor running was both inlet manifold rubbers are torn

100_1937.jpg

However engine looks to be in good order and recent heads, in fact turns out new heads, barrels and pistons :D

100_1939.jpg

100_1943.jpg

100_1944.jpg

100_1947.jpg

100_1949.jpg

100_1971.jpg

100_1972.jpg

Stripped No3 and 4 head off and found both heads cracked, so need to get another head!

100_1954.jpg

100_1955.jpg

100_1958.jpg

ordered all new gaskets and seals and a few shiny bits :mrgreen:

off to search the ads for a 2nd hand head

Box of gaskets, seals, service parts and other goodies arrived today from Machine 7. Also my mate found a good 1600 tp head in his workshop. 8)

So let the engine rebuild commence :mrgreen: (for those not taking notes, that's the rebuild of the 1600tp) I know it's a bit confusing which engine i'm doing, even I lost the plot last year :shock:

Lots of shiney bits there, you must have been happy to find them :D
well, except for the cracked head :( but at least that's sorted now.
is that bolt-up rockers in there too? Always found those a good idea on a bus...